In Then We Came to the End, Joshua Ferris, a former adman, skewers life at a Chicago advertising agency that’s downsizing. As they try to avoid being laid off, Ferris’ motley officemates fixate, often hilariously, on furniture, practical jokes, and whether or not their boss does, in fact, have cancer. The flip side to Ferris’ cutting humor is an almost unremitting sadness: All the characters’ lives are bleak, so perhaps it’s no wonder they try to cheer themselves by sending ”poopie” e-mails and wrapping offices in biohazard tape. While amusing, this juvenile sensibility wears thin at 387 pages — I would’ve enjoyed the novel a lot more had it been a hundred pages shorter. B
Then We Came to the End In Then We Came to the End, Joshua Ferris, a former adman, skewers life at a Chicago advertising agency that's downsizing. As they try...Then We Came to the EndFictionJoshua Ferris In Then We Came to the End, Joshua Ferris, a former adman, skewers life at a Chicago advertising agency that's downsizing. As they try...2007-02-23Little Brown & Company
Genre: Fiction; Author: Joshua Ferris; Publisher: Little Brown & Company
Posted February 23 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- Meek Mill hits back at Drake with diss track 'Wanna Know'
- 'Graceland' postmortem: Is Paige in over her head?
- 'Wet Hot' creators provide teases for 40 characters in the prequel
- Patricia Arquette to voice witch in 'Troll: The Rise of Harry Potter Jr.'
- Caitlyn Jenner practices her 'feminine voice' in 'I Am Cait' clip
- Dwayne Johnson on Hulk Hogan's racist rant: 'We've all talked trash'
- Jared Padalecki posted his first-ever #TBT: 13 more 'Supernatural' throwbacks
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Jennifer Lopez, Brad Pitt, Candace & Lori and More!