I attacked Romeo + Juliet in the most aggressive way. People don’t realize Leonardo [DiCaprio] had to come to Australia for no money. He wasn’t paid — he flew coach with his friends — and he stayed a week and shot scenes to convince [20th Century Fox] to make the film. Goodness gracious, the making of that film was a bit like shooting [Werner Herzog’s] Fitzcarraldo on a Rolling Stones tour in the ’60s. Imagine Leonardo, Jamie Kennedy, John Leguizamo, down in Mexico [where the movie was eventually filmed] for six months, making something that was considered radical, on a shoestring budget, in storms.
Posted February 23 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- Bryce & Chris, Karlie Kloss, Tony & Gaga and More!