Grbavica, writer-director Jasmila Zbanic’s emotionally intimate debut, features a powerfully blunt performance by Mirjana Karanovic as Esma, a woman who survived warfare in Bosnia (with its wretched descent into rape and torture). The trauma seeps into every aspect of Esma’s life as a single mother in the Sarajevo suburb of Grbavica (once the site of a prison camp), from her relationship with her daughter to her reaction to men. The dramatic conflicts are soapy and unsubtle, but Karanovic pours intense authority into Esma’s scarred psyche. B
Posted February 28 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- Carpool Karaoke: Britney Spears, James Corden reenact '...Baby One More Time'
- 'Scream Queens' season 2 promo pics: The doctors (and nurses) are in
- Marvin Kaplan, 'Alice' and 'Top Cat' actor, dies at 89
- Kanye West's Saint Pablo Tour has a flying stage
- 'American Horror Story' teaser channels 'Children of the Corn'
- Mayim Bialik, Marcie Leeds recreate their 'Beaches' opening scene
- Demi Moore joins R-rated comedy 'Rock That Body'