Acceptance, Susan Coll’s darkly comic novel, details the pressure surrounding the college application process in a Washington, D.C., suburb. Following parents, teens, and university staff, Coll puts an Election-like spin on this highly competitive milieu: The teens are all way more mature than their adult counterparts. The standout is Taylor Rockefeller, a mail-stealing, self-mutilating senior saddled with a snobby, racist mother (at one point, she whines, ”There should be affirmative action for disadvantaged Rockefellers”). The characterizations can be a bit cartoonish and simplistic, but Acceptance still bristles with enough wit and ambition to earn honors. B+
Acceptance (Book - Susan Coll) Acceptance, Susan Coll's darkly comic novel, details the pressure surrounding the college application process in a Washington, D.C.,...Acceptance (Book - Susan Coll)FictionSusan Coll Acceptance, Susan Coll's darkly comic novel, details the pressure surrounding the college application process in a Washington, D.C.,...2007-03-02Farrar, Straus & Giroux
Genre: Fiction; Author: Susan Coll; Publisher: Farrar, Straus & Giroux
Posted January 17 2015 — 9:14 AM EST
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- Zayn Malik thanks One Direction at event
- Pixar's 'Inside Out' peek: Joy has a special job for Sadness on first day at a new school
- ACM Awards' host Luke Bryan on big stage spotlight: 'It's fun to have a touch of anxiety'
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!