Acceptance, Susan Coll’s darkly comic novel, details the pressure surrounding the college application process in a Washington, D.C., suburb. Following parents, teens, and university staff, Coll puts an Election-like spin on this highly competitive milieu: The teens are all way more mature than their adult counterparts. The standout is Taylor Rockefeller, a mail-stealing, self-mutilating senior saddled with a snobby, racist mother (at one point, she whines, ”There should be affirmative action for disadvantaged Rockefellers”). The characterizations can be a bit cartoonish and simplistic, but Acceptance still bristles with enough wit and ambition to earn honors. B+
Acceptance (Book - Susan Coll) Acceptance, Susan Coll's darkly comic novel, details the pressure surrounding the college application process in a Washington, D.C.,...Acceptance (Book - Susan Coll)FictionSusan Coll Acceptance, Susan Coll's darkly comic novel, details the pressure surrounding the college application process in a Washington, D.C.,...2007-03-02Farrar, Straus & Giroux
Genre: Fiction; Author: Susan Coll; Publisher: Farrar, Straus & Giroux
Posted March 2 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Star Wars: Aftermath' introduces a gay hero to the galaxy
- 'Castle' books 'The O.C.' star in season 8
- 'Big Brother' host Julie Chen calls eviction 'ridiculous and dumb'; says Steve 'chickened out'
- Caitlyn Jenner explains how her views on marriage equality have evolved
- Ed Burns was super nervous his first day working with Tom Hanks on 'Saving Private Ryan'
- Blue Ivy dedicates Disney favorite to mom Beyoncé on her birthday
- Spoiler Room: Scoop on 'Grey's Anatomy,' 'Murder,' 'Scandal' & more
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Union, Karlie Kloss & More!