Long before tennis star Renée Richards broke ground for transsexuals in the late 1970s, Laura Dillon became a man in the ’40s. Pagan Kennedy’s The First Man-Made Man details the British aristocrat’s transformation. Dillon dressed like a man, took hormones, and underwent 13 operations courtesy of a plastic surgeon who had treated soldiers wounded in World War I. Michael Dillon then became a doctor, wrote a treatise on transsexuals, fell for a male-to-female transsexual, was exposed by the British tabloids, and sought inner peace in India. Dillon’s tale makes for a wild read. It’s also an absorbing look at a century of medical breakthroughs that allow people to change noses — or genitalia — to match their identities. A-
The First Man-Made Man Long before tennis star Renée Richards broke ground for transsexuals in the late 1970s, Laura Dillon became a man in the '40s. Pagan Kennedy's ...The First Man-Made ManNonfiction, Gay and Lesbian, BiographyPagan Kennedy Long before tennis star Renée Richards broke ground for transsexuals in the late 1970s, Laura Dillon became a man in the '40s. Pagan Kennedy's ...2007-03-02Bloomsbury
Genre: Nonfiction, Gay and Lesbian, Biography; Author: Pagan Kennedy; Publisher: Bloomsbury
Posted January 17 2015 — 9:14 AM EST
- 'Inside Out' clip: Joy has a special job for Sadness on the first day at a new school
- Host Luke Bryan on the ACM Awards' big stage: 'Certain people just really perform when the moment comes'
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!