Film adaptations rarely surpass their original source, but the six (new-to-DVD) epics that make up Warner’s Literary Classics Collection (Unrated, 677 mins., 1937-62) prove exceptions to the rule. The best is the Prisoner of Zenda double feature: Based on Anthony Hope’s 1894 palace intrigue, the ‘37 version stars the dashing Ronald Colman as a royal stand-in who falls for the real king’s fiancée 1952’s Technicolor take (essentially a word-for-word, shot-for-shot remake) features costume-drama fop Stewart Granger as the look-alikes. The set also boasts Gregory Peck’s commanding turn as C.S. Forester’s Captain Horatio Hornblower, Jennifer Jones’ melodramatic pouting as Flaubert’s adulterous Madame Bovary, and Gene Kelly as cinematic history’s campiest D’Artagnan in a slapstick spin on Dumas’ Three Musketeers. But only director Peter Ustinov’s adaptation of Herman Melville’s good-vs.-evil allegory Billy Budd offers any extras beyond vintage shorts and newsreels: Star Terence Stamp and Steven Soderbergh (in full historian mode) deliver a fascinating commentary detailing the naval epic’s production.
Literary Classics Collection Film adaptations rarely surpass their original source, but the six (new-to-DVD) epics that make up Warner's Literary Classics CollectionLiterary Classics Collection Film adaptations rarely surpass their original source, but the six (new-to-DVD) epics that make up Warner's Literary Classics Collection2007-03-02
Posted March 2 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- Rep. John Lewis crowd surfs in 'Late Show' appearance
- Judge Judy drama series in the works at CBS
- What if Zack Snyder directed classic literature adaptations?
- Jim Gaffigan, Olivia Thirlby join political thriller 'Chappaquiddick'
- 'Queen of Katwe' story inspired Alicia Keys to write a new song
- Sebastian Stan joins Steven Soderbergh's heist film 'Logan Lucky'
- Three Rounds: Sunday Funday with the cast of 'You're the Worst'
- 11 of the Best 'Mister Rogers' Neighborhood' Guest Stars
- 'Easy': 12 Exclusive First Look Photos
- First Look: Jyn Erso Toys from 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story'
- Darth Vader, Voldemort, and 7 Other Pop Culture Comparisons to Donald Trump
- Celebrity Professors: See Stars Who Make the Grade
- 55 Books to Read This Fall