Film adaptations rarely surpass their original source, but the six (new-to-DVD) epics that make up Warner’s Literary Classics Collection (Unrated, 677 mins., 1937-62) prove exceptions to the rule. The best is the Prisoner of Zenda double feature: Based on Anthony Hope’s 1894 palace intrigue, the ‘37 version stars the dashing Ronald Colman as a royal stand-in who falls for the real king’s fiancée 1952’s Technicolor take (essentially a word-for-word, shot-for-shot remake) features costume-drama fop Stewart Granger as the look-alikes. The set also boasts Gregory Peck’s commanding turn as C.S. Forester’s Captain Horatio Hornblower, Jennifer Jones’ melodramatic pouting as Flaubert’s adulterous Madame Bovary, and Gene Kelly as cinematic history’s campiest D’Artagnan in a slapstick spin on Dumas’ Three Musketeers. But only director Peter Ustinov’s adaptation of Herman Melville’s good-vs.-evil allegory Billy Budd offers any extras beyond vintage shorts and newsreels: Star Terence Stamp and Steven Soderbergh (in full historian mode) deliver a fascinating commentary detailing the naval epic’s production.
Literary Classics Collection Film adaptations rarely surpass their original source, but the six (new-to-DVD) epics that make up Warner's Literary Classics CollectionLiterary Classics Collection Film adaptations rarely surpass their original source, but the six (new-to-DVD) epics that make up Warner's Literary Classics Collection2007-03-02
Posted March 2 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Survivor: Second Chance' player Stephen Fishbach says 'it haunts me every day, the fact I didn't win'
- ABC Family and Fox score top marks for inclusion of LGBT characters
- Prince announces three-day Labor Day party ahead of album release
- ABC Family's 13 Nights of Halloween: Who's joining Harry Potter and Batman?
- Christian Slater weighs in on 'Mr. Robot' twist and season finale
- 'Mr. Robot' finale postmortem: Creator Sam Esmail answers burning questions
- 'iZombie' season 2 trailer teases what (or who) is on the menu for Liv Moore
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Alessandra Ambrósio, The Kardashians, Malin Akerman & More!