A billionaire geezer (James Garner) dies, leaving behind video messages introducing 12 ”gifts” — i.e., tests — meant to teach his brat grandson (Drew Fuller) how to value life. So The Ultimate Gift is kind of like a feel-good Saw for churchgoers, minus the sadistic games of death. Not that overtly religious, just shameless, the movie picks up when our hero befriends Abigail Breslin as a cutie with leukemia. Then it nose-dives when he hits South America, where he is held hostage by banditos. Is that another test or just poor travel planning?
Genre: Drama; Starring: Abigail Breslin, Drew Fuller, James Garner; Director: Michael O. Sajbel; Author: Cheryl McKay; Release Date Wide: 03/09/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 114; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Fox Faith
Posted January 17 2015 — 9:14 AM EST
- Adrianne Palicki talks 'Agents of SHIELD' and Bobbi: 'a really interesting struggle for her'
- 'Justified': Jere Burns on Mikey's loyalty and THAT scene
- 'Being Mary Jane' director on portraying racism on TV
- 'Finding Carter' returns with its best hour yet
- 'Cougar Town' series finale: How the cul-de-sac crew said goodbye
- Casting Net: Hugh Jackman in 'Apostle Paul,' Stephen Amell in 'TMNT 2'
- Joni Mitchell hospitalized: Report
- Woe-woe-woe: 23 signature sad songs of the past 20 years
- Jailbird watching: 13 memorable movie prisoners
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- Alicia, Nicki & Bey, Brooke Shields, Helen & Katie and More!