A billionaire geezer (James Garner) dies, leaving behind video messages introducing 12 ”gifts” — i.e., tests — meant to teach his brat grandson (Drew Fuller) how to value life. So The Ultimate Gift is kind of like a feel-good Saw for churchgoers, minus the sadistic games of death. Not that overtly religious, just shameless, the movie picks up when our hero befriends Abigail Breslin as a cutie with leukemia. Then it nose-dives when he hits South America, where he is held hostage by banditos. Is that another test or just poor travel planning?
Genre: Drama; Starring: Abigail Breslin, Drew Fuller, James Garner; Director: Michael O. Sajbel; Author: Cheryl McKay; Release Date Wide: 03/09/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 114; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Fox Faith
Posted March 14 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo': Top 10 Kindle highlights
- 'American Gods': First look at Kristin Chenoweth as Easter
- Stars rally behind Leslie Jones after website hack
- Bob Odenkirk to write book on life, 'Better Call Saul,' 'Breaking Bad'
- Bella Thorne to produce Lifetime vampire flick
- Hailee Steinfeld talks bad haircuts, coming of age in 'Edge of Seventeen'
- 'Underground' adds Aisha Hinds as Harriet Tubman for season 2
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...