Christian Bale stars in this meandering tale as Jim, a psychologically scarred Iraq War veteran who returns to his South Central L.A. roots. His initial attempts to secure his dream job with the LAPD thwarted, Jim spends his days cruising the mean streets with his buddy, Mike (Freddy Rodriguez, in a finely nuanced performance), coaxing Mike to avoid finding a job to placate his wife (Eva Longoria). Revealing Jim as both tender (in his scenes with his Mexican girlfriend) and dangerous (every other scene), Bale delivers a courageous performance, daring to disturb — and even repel — as a man at war with himself. Unfortunately, writer-director David Ayer (Training Day) shortchanges his star by offering only sketchy underpinnings for Jim’s psychosis and his fervent desire to join law enforcement. As a result, Jim’s breakdown in the final act feels hollow. EXTRAS A collection of seven trailers and deleted scenes are disposable. In his feature-length commentary, Ayer provides an insightful exploration of male friendship, but his obtuse comments about his protagonist — ”Jim’s crazy” — suggest that he doesn’t have any firmer grasp of the character than we do. B-
Genre: Action/Adventure; Starring: Christian Bale, Eva Longoria, Freddy Rodriguez; Director: David Ayer; Author: David Ayer; Release Date Wide: 11/10/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 119; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: MGM
Posted March 16 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Listen to David Tennant explain Einstein's theory of general relativity
- See the fiery opening title sequence for 'The Shannara Chronicles'
- Daniel Radcliffe is jealous of Eddie Redmayne's 'Fantastic Beasts' costume
- Ron Howard set to direct thriller 'The Girl Before'
- Ice-T and Coco welcome daughter Chanel Nicole
- John Stamos shares high school prom throwback photo
- Chris Miller shares an update on 'The Lego Movie' sequel