Cowboy detectives Gustav and Otto Amlingmeyer, the heroes of last year’s delightfully offbeat Holmes on the Range, are back on the trail in Steve Hockensmith’s On the Wrong Track. Not literally, this time. They sell their horses to become investigators for a railroad that’s been hit repeatedly by a gang of bandits. So the brothers go undercover on a train heading west from Chicago’s Exposition of 1893 with a rogue’s gallery that includes a cardsharp, a wiseacre salesman, and hymn-singing Presbyterians — not to mention a cold-blooded murderer. While the humorous asides are less frequent than in the last book, they are just as welcome. At one point, Otto, our narrator, notes of his brother, who fancies himself a Wild West rival to Sherlock Holmes: ”Gustav’s got about as much fat on him as a licorice whip.” Hockensmith’s new book is similarly lean, though the mystery is probably more convoluted than it needs to be. B
On the Wrong Track Cowboy detectives Gustav and Otto Amlingmeyer, the heroes of last year's delightfully offbeat Holmes on the Range, are back on the trail in...On the Wrong TrackMystery and Thriller, FictionSteve Hockensmith Cowboy detectives Gustav and Otto Amlingmeyer, the heroes of last year's delightfully offbeat Holmes on the Range, are back on the trail in...2007-03-16St. Martin's Minotaur
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Fiction; Author: Steve Hockensmith; Publisher: St. Martin's Minotaur
Posted March 16 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Casting Net: Taraji P. Henson to star in Hidden Figures
- 'Grey's Anatomy' star Ellen Pompeo on Meredith-centric midseason return
- Nasim Pedrad to play teenage boy in Fox pilot 'Chad: An American Boy'
- A house divided in 'House of Cards' season 4 trailer
- 'Gilmore Girls' revival casts former 'Bunheads' star Sutton Foster
- 'How to Get Away with Murder' boss teases new Murder Night and more
- Kanye West reveals final track list for album now named 'The Life of Pablo'
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs
- See '90s Stars at the 1996 'Broken Arrow' Premiere
- 35 Tom Hiddleston Photos For His 35th Birthday