A thingy from the future — part toy, part New Agey objet — falls to earth, and the siblings (Rhiannon Leigh Wryn and Chris O’Neil) who discover it hide the alien marvel, E.T.-style, from their parents (Timothy Hutton and Joely Richardson). The Last Mimzy, a pleasantly dorky adaptation of Lewis Padgett’s 1943 sci-fi story directed by New Line honcho Bob Shaye, bobbles its topicality (Homeland Security has no business here) and its clunky product placement (rah-rah Intel!). But the newcomer kids are delightfully…kidlike. Cosmic bonus: The Office’s Rainn Wilson plays a New Agey science teacher. B
Genre: Kids and Family, Action/Adventure; Starring: Chris O'Neil, Rhiannon Leigh Wryn, Timothy Hutton, Joely Richardson; Director: Robert Shaye; Author: Toby Emmerich, Bruce Joel Rubin; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 90; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: New Line Cinema
Posted March 21 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See Ryan Reynolds give Conan O’Brien a massage as Deadpool (with panda tears)
- Kevin Bacon campaigns for more male nudity in Hollywood in mock PSA
- See the red band trailer for Ryan Reynolds' 'Deadpool'
- 'Playing House' season 2 premiere react: Did you find the BFFs' return 'totes kewl'?
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: Travis Wall on that 'uncomfortable' Twitter save
- Casting Net: Will Smith replaces Hugh Jackman in 'Collateral Beauty'
- 9 spoilers on 'Grey’s Anatomy,' 'Scandal,' 'Murder'