A thingy from the future — part toy, part New Agey objet — falls to earth, and the siblings (Rhiannon Leigh Wryn and Chris O’Neil) who discover it hide the alien marvel, E.T.-style, from their parents (Timothy Hutton and Joely Richardson). The Last Mimzy, a pleasantly dorky adaptation of Lewis Padgett’s 1943 sci-fi story directed by New Line honcho Bob Shaye, bobbles its topicality (Homeland Security has no business here) and its clunky product placement (rah-rah Intel!). But the newcomer kids are delightfully…kidlike. Cosmic bonus: The Office’s Rainn Wilson plays a New Agey science teacher. B
Genre: Kids and Family, Action/Adventure; Starring: Chris O'Neil, Rhiannon Leigh Wryn, Timothy Hutton, Joely Richardson; Director: Robert Shaye; Author: Toby Emmerich, Bruce Joel Rubin; Runtime (in minutes): 90; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: New Line Cinema
Posted March 21 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Melissa McCarthy to star as famous forger Lee Israel in upcoming film
- Amber Heard’s lawyer addresses Johnny Depp domestic violence claims
- What to Watch Tuesday: Peek at Cillian Murphy in 'Peaky Blinders'
- Neil Gaiman talks 'The View from the Cheap Seats' and 'American Gods'
- John Carpenter's 'The Thing' getting Blu-ray collector's edition release
- Jack White wrote the theme song for 'Maya and Marty'
- 'The A Word': See exclusive teaser for family comedy about autism
- The Best 'Bachelor' and 'Bachelorette' Jobs
- Disney Classics Making New Magic On Screen
- The Best Summer Vacations in Movies
- See Exclusive Behind-the-Scenes Photos From Disney Channel Original Movies
- Getting 'Close' With Nick Jonas: See EW's Exclusive Cover Shoot
- Carpool Karaoke: James Corden's Most-Watched Videos