Girls just want to have fun — and cheer their team at a World Cup soccer event. But that’s not easy in Iran, where women are banned from public sporting events. Those caught sneaking in are detained by bewildered boy soldiers in Offside, Jafar Panahi’s wonderfully funny, outspoken shaggy-dog story, a light counterweight to his sadder 2000 feminist drama The Circle. Absurdity reaches a peak in a hilarious set piece involving a guard, a ”prisoner,” and an escorted trip to the men’s stalls when a girl’s gotta do what a girl’s gotta do. A-
OffsideGirls just want to have fun — and cheer their team at a World Cup soccer event. But that's not easy in Iran, where women are banned from public...OffsideDrama, ComedyJafar Panahi, Shadmehr RastinPT92MPGGirls just want to have fun — and cheer their team at a World Cup soccer event. But that's not easy in Iran, where women are banned from public...2007-03-21Sony Pictures Classics
Genre: Drama, Comedy; Starring: Sima Mobarak, Safar Samandar; Director: Jafar Panahi; Author: Jafar Panahi, Shadmehr Rastin; Runtime (in minutes): 92; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted March 21 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- New 'witch noir' comic 'Black Magick' casts a spell -- exclusive first look
- Ben Affleck on being cast as Batman: 'My first reaction was, 'Are you sure?''
- 'Maze Runner': Dylan O'Brien in new 'Scorch Trials' photo
- 13 reasons why 'Fast & Furious 6' has the greatest barbecue
Shark Week 2015:
Eli Roth previews Shark After Dark
- Spoiler Room: Scoop on 'Agent Carter,' 'Hawaii Five-0,' 'You’re the Worst' and more
- Tracy Morgan visits Disney to celebrate daughter's birthday
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- 26 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- Miranda Kerr, Ewan & Chiwetel, Karlie Kloss & More!