In Shooter, Mark Wahlberg, as a former Marine sniper, is brought out of retirement to take out a would-be presidential assassin. It is, however, all a big setup, in a plot that recycles the murder of JFK and the sins of Dick Cheney without becoming remotely plausible — or unpredictable. The ultimate crime of this paranoid enemy-of-the-state pulp, directed with more style than brains by Antoine Fuqua (Training Day), is how dull it is. Once the conspiracy is revealed, there’s still 90 minutes of manhunt to go, with Wahlberg, in blank-slate mode, reduced to Rambo in the concrete jungle.
Genre: Action/Adventure, Drama; Starring: Michael Pena, Mark Wahlberg, Danny Glover, Kate Mara; Author: Jonathan Lemkin; Release Date Wide: 03/23/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 120; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Paramount Pictures
Posted March 21 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Final 'Dexter' book says farewell to serial killer Dexter Morgan
- Kel Mitchell is coming back to Nickelodeon
- Kevin Bacon, Neil Marshall, and the other Thor to attend Fantasia 2015
- Tatiana Maslany, Haley Joel Osment among cast for 'Locke & Key' audiobook
- Here's your best look yet at the very cool 'No Man's Sky'
- More exclusive images of Bruce Campbell in 'Ash vs Evil Dead'
- Audience member attempts to charge phone on stage at Broadway play
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Pippa Middleton, Ryan Reynolds, Jessica Alba & More!