In Shooter, Mark Wahlberg, as a former Marine sniper, is brought out of retirement to take out a would-be presidential assassin. It is, however, all a big setup, in a plot that recycles the murder of JFK and the sins of Dick Cheney without becoming remotely plausible — or unpredictable. The ultimate crime of this paranoid enemy-of-the-state pulp, directed with more style than brains by Antoine Fuqua (Training Day), is how dull it is. Once the conspiracy is revealed, there’s still 90 minutes of manhunt to go, with Wahlberg, in blank-slate mode, reduced to Rambo in the concrete jungle.
Genre: Action/Adventure, Drama; Starring: Michael Pena, Mark Wahlberg, Danny Glover, Kate Mara; Author: Jonathan Lemkin; Release Date Wide: 03/23/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 120; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Paramount Pictures
Posted March 21 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See the Mountain from 'Game of Thrones' toss a keg 23 feet in the air
- Hear Beyoncé on Coldplay's new song
- 'Captain America: Civil War' trailer shatters Marvel viewing record
- See Skrillex's insane video for his remix of GTA's 'Red Lips'
- New Order releases statement about Peter Hook's lawsuit against band
- See the 'Fresh Off The Boat' cast invoke Ang Lee in Golden Globes plea
- How the directors of 'Goodnight Mommy' trained their 'hissing' scene-stealers: cockroaches