In Shooter, Mark Wahlberg, as a former Marine sniper, is brought out of retirement to take out a would-be presidential assassin. It is, however, all a big setup, in a plot that recycles the murder of JFK and the sins of Dick Cheney without becoming remotely plausible — or unpredictable. The ultimate crime of this paranoid enemy-of-the-state pulp, directed with more style than brains by Antoine Fuqua (Training Day), is how dull it is. Once the conspiracy is revealed, there’s still 90 minutes of manhunt to go, with Wahlberg, in blank-slate mode, reduced to Rambo in the concrete jungle.
Genre: Action/Adventure, Drama; Starring: Michael Pena, Mark Wahlberg, Danny Glover, Kate Mara; Author: Jonathan Lemkin; Release Date Wide: 03/23/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 120; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Paramount Pictures
Posted March 21 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Nicolas Cage to star in parental thriller 'Mom and Dad'
- 'The Originals' boss on the casting change you may have missed
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Ryan Reynolds on his acerbic antihero 'Deadpool'
- Universal wins film rights for 'Gone Girl' author's ghost story 'The Grownup'
- Julie's Diary: 'Vampire Diaries' boss breaks down Damon's big fight scene
- Inside Disneyland's magical Dream Suite
- Oscars 2016: Michael B. Jordan, Daisy Ridley, Cate Blanchett join presenters