Mohsin Hamid’s The Reluctant Fundamentalist begins at a restaurant in Pakistan, where a bearded native named Changez tells an American stranger about his glorious pre-9/11 days in the U.S.: Changez, a Princeton grad, moves to New York, gets a high-paying job, and falls for the ”stunningly regal” Erica. Then the Twin Towers collapse — and so does Changez. He begins grappling with his skin color (a drifter calls him a ”f—ing Arab”). As war looms, he feels his new life has blinded him to the world’s realities (”I was a man lacking in substance”) and sabotaged the American dream he’s made for himself. But Hamid’s attempts to build tension in his East-meets-West tale end up a bit flat. B
The Reluctant Fundamentalist Mohsin Hamid's The Reluctant Fundamentalist begins at a restaurant in Pakistan, where a bearded native named Changez tells an American...The Reluctant FundamentalistFictionMohsin Hamid Mohsin Hamid's The Reluctant Fundamentalist begins at a restaurant in Pakistan, where a bearded native named Changez tells an American...2007-03-30Harcourt
Genre: Fiction; Author: Mohsin Hamid; Publisher: Harcourt
Posted March 30 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Idris Elba addresses James Bond casting speculation
- Jimmy Fallon thanks Madame Tussauds for making a wax figure of Grumpy Cat
- Chris Evans on more Captain America: 'If Marvel wants me, they got me'
- Alison Brie offers unqualified dating advice on 'The Tonight Show'
- Jimmy Fallon plays 'Family Feud' on 'The Tonight Show'
- One Direction fans' Summer of Struggles: a timeline
- 'Survivor: Second Chance': Woo says he won't make same epic mistake twice
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Dakota Johnson, Keanu Reeves, Bar Refaeli & More!