As a woman who keeps her cool even when disposing of her husband’s corpse, the Oscar-nominated Penélope Cruz whips through Pedro Almodóvar’s lively, moving dramedy Volver with a luminous confidence missing from her Hollywood flicks. Carmen Maura is equally good as a ghost (or not) who takes on an earthly mission. And don’t miss the dazzling end-credit sequence, inspired by one of the star’s cheap floral-patterned costumes. EXTRAS The director’s commentary touches on neorealism, Hitchcock’s Torn Curtain, and Cruz’s fake bum.
(Emilio Pereda & Paola Ardizzoni)
Genre: Comedy, Action/Adventure; Starring: Penelope Cruz, Carmen Maura; Director: Pedro Almodovar; Author: Pedro Almodovar; Release Date Limited: 11/03/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 121; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted March 30 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Prince announces three-day Labor Day party ahead of album release
- ABC Family's 13 Nights of Halloween: Who's joining Harry Potter and Batman?
- Christian Slater weighs in on 'Mr. Robot' twist and season finale
- 'Mr. Robot' finale postmortem: Creator Sam Esmail answers burning questions
- 'iZombie' season 2 trailer teases what (or who) is on the menu for Liv Moore
- Casting Net: Mad Men star Jessica Pare cast in Lovesick
- 'Can't Buy Me Love' star Amanda Peterson's cause of death was an overdose
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- The A List Ladies, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anna & Jane and More!