As a woman who keeps her cool even when disposing of her husband’s corpse, the Oscar-nominated Penélope Cruz whips through Pedro Almodóvar’s lively, moving dramedy Volver with a luminous confidence missing from her Hollywood flicks. Carmen Maura is equally good as a ghost (or not) who takes on an earthly mission. And don’t miss the dazzling end-credit sequence, inspired by one of the star’s cheap floral-patterned costumes. EXTRAS The director’s commentary touches on neorealism, Hitchcock’s Torn Curtain, and Cruz’s fake bum.
(Emilio Pereda & Paola Ardizzoni)
Genre: Comedy, Action/Adventure; Starring: Penelope Cruz, Carmen Maura; Director: Pedro Almodovar; Author: Pedro Almodovar; Release Date Limited: 11/03/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 121; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted March 30 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Can the 'Legends of Tomorrow' ever truly defeat Vandal Savage?
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Ryan Reynolds on how he was forced into 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine'
- Casting Net: Taraji P. Henson to star in Hidden Figures
- 'Grey's Anatomy' star Ellen Pompeo on Meredith-centric midseason return
- Nasim Pedrad to play teenage boy in Fox pilot 'Chad: An American Boy'
- A house divided in 'House of Cards' season 4 trailer
- 'Gilmore Girls' revival casts former 'Bunheads' star Sutton Foster
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs
- See '90s Stars at the 1996 'Broken Arrow' Premiere
- 35 Tom Hiddleston Photos For His 35th Birthday