As a woman who keeps her cool even when disposing of her husband’s corpse, the Oscar-nominated Penélope Cruz whips through Pedro Almodóvar’s lively, moving dramedy Volver with a luminous confidence missing from her Hollywood flicks. Carmen Maura is equally good as a ghost (or not) who takes on an earthly mission. And don’t miss the dazzling end-credit sequence, inspired by one of the star’s cheap floral-patterned costumes. EXTRAS The director’s commentary touches on neorealism, Hitchcock’s Torn Curtain, and Cruz’s fake bum.
(Emilio Pereda & Paola Ardizzoni)
Genre: Comedy, Action/Adventure; Starring: Penelope Cruz, Carmen Maura; Director: Pedro Almodovar; Author: Pedro Almodovar; Release Date Limited: 11/03/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 121; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted March 30 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Marvel's 'Black Panther' hires a writer
- See a new clip from 'Burnt' with Bradley Cooper and Sienna Miller
- You'll lose your head over this exclusive clip from 'Tales of Halloween'
- 'Inside Amy Schumer,' 'Broad City,' and more faves will stream on Hulu
- Tom Hiddleston explains why Loki was cut from 'Age of Ultron'
- Demi Lovato shares two new 'Confident' music video teasers
- Shane Davis and Michelle Delecki preview new gaming comic 'Axcend'