As a woman who keeps her cool even when disposing of her husband’s corpse, the Oscar-nominated Penélope Cruz whips through Pedro Almodóvar’s lively, moving dramedy Volver with a luminous confidence missing from her Hollywood flicks. Carmen Maura is equally good as a ghost (or not) who takes on an earthly mission. And don’t miss the dazzling end-credit sequence, inspired by one of the star’s cheap floral-patterned costumes. EXTRAS The director’s commentary touches on neorealism, Hitchcock’s Torn Curtain, and Cruz’s fake bum.
(Emilio Pereda & Paola Ardizzoni)
Genre: Comedy, Action/Adventure; Starring: Penelope Cruz, Carmen Maura; Director: Pedro Almodovar; Author: Pedro Almodovar; Release Date Limited: 11/03/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 121; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted March 30 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Guilt' canceled by Freeform after one season
- 'Grey's Anatomy': Will DeLuca and Maggie ever reunite?
- Watch Lady Gaga dedicate emotional Dive Bar Tour set to her father
- Trump booed at charity dinner while cracking Clinton jokes
- 'How to Get Away with Murder' reveals Michaela's mom
- 'How to Get Away with Murder' boss, Liza Weil on that shocking hookup
- Carol Burnett to star in Amy Poehler-produced ABC comedy pilot