As a woman who keeps her cool even when disposing of her husband’s corpse, the Oscar-nominated Penélope Cruz whips through Pedro Almodóvar’s lively, moving dramedy Volver with a luminous confidence missing from her Hollywood flicks. Carmen Maura is equally good as a ghost (or not) who takes on an earthly mission. And don’t miss the dazzling end-credit sequence, inspired by one of the star’s cheap floral-patterned costumes. EXTRAS The director’s commentary touches on neorealism, Hitchcock’s Torn Curtain, and Cruz’s fake bum.
(Emilio Pereda & Paola Ardizzoni)
Genre: Comedy, Action/Adventure; Starring: Penelope Cruz, Carmen Maura; Director: Pedro Almodovar; Author: Pedro Almodovar; Release Date Limited: 11/03/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 121; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted March 30 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Elizabeth Banks leads celebrities in a cappella 'Fight Song' for Hillary
- Bill Clinton’s DNC speech was a love letter to Hillary Clinton
- Alicia Keys dedicates DNC performance to 'Mothers of the Movement'
- Meryl Streep: Hillary Clinton will be first female president
- Hillary Clinton shares empowering message for young girls
- Howard Dean reprises his famous 'Dean Scream' moment during DNC
- Chiwetel Ejiofor in talks to join Robert Redford in 'Come Sunday'