No film can ”capture” the experience of combat, but this eloquent and moving documentary brings us closer to the emotions (principally boredom and terror) of the soldiers fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan than perhaps any previous examination. It features interviews with infantrymen, but mostly it showcases their words: searing, intimate diaries of the agony and banality of battle, read by actors who make the testimony sting. The film scrapes off any glamour to reveal the eyes of bravery — looking straight into death, with no reward but survival.
Genre: Documentary; Director: Richard E. Robbins; Release Date Limited: 02/09/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 81; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: The Documentary Group
Posted April 5 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Scream' postmortem: The killer speaks out!
- 'Scream' postmortem: The killer revealed! What's next?
- Fox News anchor Harris Faulkner sues Hasbro over same-named toy hamster
- Casting Net: Scott Eastwood set to become action star in 'Overdrive'
- 'Scream' honors Wes Craven during finale
- Ellen Page says her 'Freeheld' role inspired her to come out
- 'Brides of Dracula' series from 'Arrow' producer gets NBC pilot commitment
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!