In what can only be considered a dame shame, Disney announced on March 29 that Oscar winner Mirren will play Nicolas Cage’s mother in the sequel to 2004’s National Treasure. News of the Queen’s deal for a big-budget, no-brain blockbuster means that Mirren could be in the early stages of an unnamed condition that causes many Academy awardees to follow up their prizewinning roles with lowbrow action fare (see: Halle Berry’s Die Another Day, Charlize Theron’s Aeon Flux, Cage’s Con Air, Angelina Jolie’s Tomb Raider). It’s possible National Treasure: Book of Secrets (!) will turn out to be amazing, but we’d still prefer that Mirren stick to projects befitting her royal status.
Posted April 6 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Sports Illustrated' reveals how the NFL persuaded Michael Jackson to perform at the Super Bowl
- Rachael Taylor joins 'A.K.A. Jessica Jones'
- Study: Binge-watching TV might make you sad
- A.J. McLean previews 'raw' Backstreet Boys documentary
- NEEDTOBREATHE teams with Gavin DeGraw for 'Brother'
- Disney to intro its first Latina princess
- Box office preview: 'Project Almanac' joins 'American Sniper' in theaters