In what can only be considered a dame shame, Disney announced on March 29 that Oscar winner Mirren will play Nicolas Cage’s mother in the sequel to 2004’s National Treasure. News of the Queen’s deal for a big-budget, no-brain blockbuster means that Mirren could be in the early stages of an unnamed condition that causes many Academy awardees to follow up their prizewinning roles with lowbrow action fare (see: Halle Berry’s Die Another Day, Charlize Theron’s Aeon Flux, Cage’s Con Air, Angelina Jolie’s Tomb Raider). It’s possible National Treasure: Book of Secrets (!) will turn out to be amazing, but we’d still prefer that Mirren stick to projects befitting her royal status.
Posted April 6 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- YouTube orders original projects from Gigi Gorgeous, AwesomenessTV
- Kristen Stewart, James Franco, Helena Bonham Carter join 'JT LeRoy'
- In defense of Cuba Gooding Jr. as O.J. Simpson
- 'The People v. O.J. Simpson': How the White Bronco chase was recreated
- 'Star Wars' meets 'Mario Kart' in 'Star Kart' fan video
- Courteney Cox sitcom 'Charity Case' lands pilot at Fox
- 'Frozen' holiday special to air on ABC in 2017