In what can only be considered a dame shame, Disney announced on March 29 that Oscar winner Mirren will play Nicolas Cage’s mother in the sequel to 2004’s National Treasure. News of the Queen’s deal for a big-budget, no-brain blockbuster means that Mirren could be in the early stages of an unnamed condition that causes many Academy awardees to follow up their prizewinning roles with lowbrow action fare (see: Halle Berry’s Die Another Day, Charlize Theron’s Aeon Flux, Cage’s Con Air, Angelina Jolie’s Tomb Raider). It’s possible National Treasure: Book of Secrets (!) will turn out to be amazing, but we’d still prefer that Mirren stick to projects befitting her royal status.
Posted April 6 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- President Obama and Vice head to prison in 'Fixing the System' trailer
- Chris Messina in talks to play Ben Affleck's best friend in 'Live By Night'
- 'Minions' clears $1 billion at the worldwide box office
- Justin Bieber to spend several mornings with you on the 'Today' show
- 'Doubt': 'Good Wife' actor to star opposite Katherine Heigl
- The first trans director of 'Transparent' on his experiences with the show
- Miley Cyrus reveals what a rainbow tastes like during Tumblr Q&A
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Darius Rucker, Paris Hilton, Nick & Pharrell and More!