In what can only be considered a dame shame, Disney announced on March 29 that Oscar winner Mirren will play Nicolas Cage’s mother in the sequel to 2004’s National Treasure. News of the Queen’s deal for a big-budget, no-brain blockbuster means that Mirren could be in the early stages of an unnamed condition that causes many Academy awardees to follow up their prizewinning roles with lowbrow action fare (see: Halle Berry’s Die Another Day, Charlize Theron’s Aeon Flux, Cage’s Con Air, Angelina Jolie’s Tomb Raider). It’s possible National Treasure: Book of Secrets (!) will turn out to be amazing, but we’d still prefer that Mirren stick to projects befitting her royal status.
Posted April 6 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Comic-Con: Henry Cavill goes undercover to prank Will Smith
- 'Simpsons' producer on how show will mock Trump
- 'Mystery Science Theater 3000' revival lands at Netflix
- 'Dirk Gently' trailer: Elijah Wood joins 'Holistic Detective Agency'
- Melissa McCarthy, 50 Cent, more audition for Han Solo role on 'Conan'
- Donald Trump defends Roger Ailes' against accusers
- Joe Perry performs for first time since hospitalization