In what can only be considered a dame shame, Disney announced on March 29 that Oscar winner Mirren will play Nicolas Cage’s mother in the sequel to 2004’s National Treasure. News of the Queen’s deal for a big-budget, no-brain blockbuster means that Mirren could be in the early stages of an unnamed condition that causes many Academy awardees to follow up their prizewinning roles with lowbrow action fare (see: Halle Berry’s Die Another Day, Charlize Theron’s Aeon Flux, Cage’s Con Air, Angelina Jolie’s Tomb Raider). It’s possible National Treasure: Book of Secrets (!) will turn out to be amazing, but we’d still prefer that Mirren stick to projects befitting her royal status.
Posted January 17 2015 — 9:14 AM EST
- Earl Sweatshirt shares new 10-minute song 'Solace'
- Barbra Streisand reunites Robert Redford with Chaplin Award
- Muse releases eerie new video for 'Dead Inside'
- Stream Phoebe Bridgers and Daniel Clarke's new Pax-Am 7-Inch Series releases
- 'Hunger Games' star responds to Baltimore riots
- Michael Fassbender and Marion Cotillard look fair and foul in 'Macbeth'