In what can only be considered a dame shame, Disney announced on March 29 that Oscar winner Mirren will play Nicolas Cage’s mother in the sequel to 2004’s National Treasure. News of the Queen’s deal for a big-budget, no-brain blockbuster means that Mirren could be in the early stages of an unnamed condition that causes many Academy awardees to follow up their prizewinning roles with lowbrow action fare (see: Halle Berry’s Die Another Day, Charlize Theron’s Aeon Flux, Cage’s Con Air, Angelina Jolie’s Tomb Raider). It’s possible National Treasure: Book of Secrets (!) will turn out to be amazing, but we’d still prefer that Mirren stick to projects befitting her royal status.
Posted April 6 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Mr. Robot' newscast offers details about hack aftermath
- Laura Jane Grace explains Against Me!'s North Carolina protest
- Brad Paisley sings about North Carolina's discriminatory bathroom law
- 'Chicago Fire': Miranda Rae Mayo promoted to series regular
- Academy unearths old 'Return of the Jedi' teaser
- 'Game of Thrones' new photos, promo for episode 6
- Milla Jovovich is a video game character in 'Contract Killer: Sniper'