In what can only be considered a dame shame, Disney announced on March 29 that Oscar winner Mirren will play Nicolas Cage’s mother in the sequel to 2004’s National Treasure. News of the Queen’s deal for a big-budget, no-brain blockbuster means that Mirren could be in the early stages of an unnamed condition that causes many Academy awardees to follow up their prizewinning roles with lowbrow action fare (see: Halle Berry’s Die Another Day, Charlize Theron’s Aeon Flux, Cage’s Con Air, Angelina Jolie’s Tomb Raider). It’s possible National Treasure: Book of Secrets (!) will turn out to be amazing, but we’d still prefer that Mirren stick to projects befitting her royal status.
Posted April 6 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Downton Abbey' cast on saying goodbye: 'We didn't want to leave'
- Zayn Malik congratulates One Direction on their ’sick’ new single
- Dr. Dre's new album, 'Compton,' coming Aug. 7
- 'Ghostbusters' cast surprises patients at Boston children's hospital
- Chris Pratt, James Gunn mark 'Guardians of the Galaxy's one-year anniversary
- Kelly Clarkson crushes cover of Miley Cyrus' ‘Wrecking Ball’
- Amy Schumer responds to open letter about Lafayette theater shooting
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- FKA Twigs, Adrian Grenier, Bethenny Frankel and More!