A strange, sprained, but sprightly fusion of The Usual Suspects and the Tragic Mulatto, Slow Burn wants badly to turn its standard neo-noir into a nuanced racial chiaroscuro. A big-shot district attorney (Ray Liotta) is closing in on a shadowy inner-city crime lord, but his biracial star prosecutor (Star Trek: Enterprise’s Jolene Blalock) may be dirty. While the twists arrive with deadening regularity, the only mystery writer-director Wayne Beach really fixates on is his femme fatale’s racial profile — first it’s fetishized, then lazily equated with treachery, and finally reduced to a mere ”trick of light.”
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Drama; Starring: Ray Liotta, LL Cool J, Jolene Blalock, Mekhi Phifer; Director: Wayne Beach; Author: Wayne Beach; Release Date Wide: 04/13/2007; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Lions Gate Films
Posted January 17 2015 — 9:14 AM EST
- Billie Joe Armstrong musical 'These Paper Bullets!' coming to LA, NYC
- 'It Follows': The story behind the score
- Nick Jonas talks hosting the 2015 Kids' Choice Awards, his new image and that Kanye West cover
- Ben Stiller's little-known punk rocker past comes to light
- 'Barely Lethal' R rating overturned
- 'New Yorker' editor David Remnick defends Lena Dunham's 'dog or Jewish boyfriend' piece
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- Katy Perry, Kenny & Taylor, Josh Peck and More!