A strange, sprained, but sprightly fusion of The Usual Suspects and the Tragic Mulatto, Slow Burn wants badly to turn its standard neo-noir into a nuanced racial chiaroscuro. A big-shot district attorney (Ray Liotta) is closing in on a shadowy inner-city crime lord, but his biracial star prosecutor (Star Trek: Enterprise’s Jolene Blalock) may be dirty. While the twists arrive with deadening regularity, the only mystery writer-director Wayne Beach really fixates on is his femme fatale’s racial profile — first it’s fetishized, then lazily equated with treachery, and finally reduced to a mere ”trick of light.”
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Drama; Starring: Ray Liotta, LL Cool J, Jolene Blalock, Mekhi Phifer; Director: Wayne Beach; Author: Wayne Beach; Release Date Wide: 04/13/2007; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Lions Gate Films
Posted April 18 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Richard Linklater in talks to direct Jennifer Lawrence in 'The Rosie Project'
- 'All the Bright Places' starring Elle Fanning finds its director
- HBO developing Wild West drama series Untamed
- Ann Rule, true-crime author, dies at 83
- 'Vampire Diaries,' 'Originals' add a bunch of new faces
- 'Lost' actor replaces 'Flash' star as Sandy Cohen in 'O.C.' musical
- Andy Richter responds to 'Conan' lawsuit
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Matthew & Keri, Katy Perry, Cate Blanchett & More!