In Stephanie Daley, a 16-year-old Christian girl, played with exploratory shy grace by Amber Tamblyn, is accused of murdering her newborn infant. But did she even know that she was pregnant? That’s what Tilda Swinton, as a forensic psychologist who is about to have a baby herself, must determine. Shot in a pinpoint, suggestive handheld style, this lacerating drama from writer-director Hilary Brougher shines a piercing light onto some of the hidden terrors of women, especially in an era when abstinence can shade into ignorance. The scary culminating flashback, in which Stephanie gives birth — in a public restroom, on a high school ski trip — is a marvel of authentic disturbance.
Genre: Drama; Starring: Tilda Swinton, Amber Tamblyn, Timothy Hutton; Director: Hilary Brougher; Author: Hilary Brougher; Status: In Season; MPAA Rating: In Season; Distributor: Regent Entertainment
Posted April 18 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Sports Illustrated' reveals how the NFL persuaded Michael Jackson to perform at the Super Bowl
- Rachael Taylor joins 'A.K.A. Jessica Jones'
- Study: Binge-watching TV might make you sad
- A.J. McLean previews 'raw' Backstreet Boys documentary
- NEEDTOBREATHE teams with Gavin DeGraw for 'Brother'
- Disney to intro its first Latina princess
- Box office preview: 'Project Almanac' joins 'American Sniper' in theaters