In Stephanie Daley, a 16-year-old Christian girl, played with exploratory shy grace by Amber Tamblyn, is accused of murdering her newborn infant. But did she even know that she was pregnant? That’s what Tilda Swinton, as a forensic psychologist who is about to have a baby herself, must determine. Shot in a pinpoint, suggestive handheld style, this lacerating drama from writer-director Hilary Brougher shines a piercing light onto some of the hidden terrors of women, especially in an era when abstinence can shade into ignorance. The scary culminating flashback, in which Stephanie gives birth — in a public restroom, on a high school ski trip — is a marvel of authentic disturbance.
Genre: Drama; Starring: Tilda Swinton, Amber Tamblyn, Timothy Hutton; Director: Hilary Brougher; Author: Hilary Brougher; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Regent Entertainment
Posted January 17 2015 — 9:14 AM EST
- Kendrick Lamar goes back to Compton for 'King Kunta' video: Watch
- Katie Couric pulls off 'an amazing prank' on James Corden for April Fools' Day: Watch
- From People: Courteney Cox steals Erin Foster's socks in 'Barely Famous' clip
- 'Grey's Anatomy' finale: A kidnapping! A massive earthquake! A crossover!
- 'New Girl' casts Anna George as Cece's mother for season 5
- Grimes to open for Lana Del Rey on Endless Summer Tour
- Rihanna pranks Jimmy Kimmel in his own bed for April Fools' Day: Sneak preview