The title, the club-mix score, the scenery-masticating moments — too much about this true story of a 15-year-old killed in an upper-middle-class drug war feels sensationalized. Writer-director Nick Cassavetes is good with actors (Justin Timberlake is actually pretty effective…if you can forget that he’s Justin Timberlake), but action-movie fight sequences and three-ways in pools obscure any sense of tragedy in Alpha Dog. EXTRAS In a making-of, Cassavetes calls his film ”an exploration of loss” and a producer discusses the ”heartbreaking” nature of the crime. Why did none of that come through? C+
Genre: Drama; Starring: Emile Hirsch, Justin Timberlake, Ben Foster, Sharon Stone, Bruce Willis, Anton Yelchin; Director: Nick Cassavetes; Author: Nick Cassavetes; Release Date Wide: 01/12/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 117; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Universal
Posted May 4 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Blake Shelton tries sushi for the first time with Jimmy Fallon
- Is 'The Flash' doing Flashpoint in season 3?
- Fozzie Bear reveals who he gets mistaken for on '@Midnight'
- Kate McKinnon impersonated Ellen and Hillary to their faces
- 'The Real Housewives of New Jersey' season 7 trailer debuts
- Hillary Clinton plays 'Who'd You Rather?' on possible VP picks
- Paul McCartney: Kanye West is 'a monster' who 'inspires me'