The title, the club-mix score, the scenery-masticating moments — too much about this true story of a 15-year-old killed in an upper-middle-class drug war feels sensationalized. Writer-director Nick Cassavetes is good with actors (Justin Timberlake is actually pretty effective…if you can forget that he’s Justin Timberlake), but action-movie fight sequences and three-ways in pools obscure any sense of tragedy in Alpha Dog. EXTRAS In a making-of, Cassavetes calls his film ”an exploration of loss” and a producer discusses the ”heartbreaking” nature of the crime. Why did none of that come through? C+
Genre: Drama; Starring: Emile Hirsch, Justin Timberlake, Ben Foster, Sharon Stone, Bruce Willis, Anton Yelchin; Director: Nick Cassavetes; Author: Nick Cassavetes; Release Date Wide: 01/12/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 117; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Universal
Posted May 4 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- USA Women win soccer's World Cup: Celebs on Twitter say...
- 'Penny Dreadful' showrunner's postmortem on season finale: 'I’m just very proud of it'
- Kate Hudson gets patriotic, belts out the national anthem on Instagram
- 'Dukes of Hazzard' costar: TV Land wrong
- Keke Palmer previews 'Scream Queens'
- Empire State Building jams out to Grateful Dead with synchronized July 4 light show
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Rumer & Khloé, Usher, Cara Delevingne & More!