The title, the club-mix score, the scenery-masticating moments — too much about this true story of a 15-year-old killed in an upper-middle-class drug war feels sensationalized. Writer-director Nick Cassavetes is good with actors (Justin Timberlake is actually pretty effective…if you can forget that he’s Justin Timberlake), but action-movie fight sequences and three-ways in pools obscure any sense of tragedy in Alpha Dog. EXTRAS In a making-of, Cassavetes calls his film ”an exploration of loss” and a producer discusses the ”heartbreaking” nature of the crime. Why did none of that come through? C+
Genre: Drama; Starring: Emile Hirsch, Justin Timberlake, Ben Foster, Sharon Stone, Bruce Willis, Anton Yelchin; Director: Nick Cassavetes; Author: Nick Cassavetes; Release Date Wide: 01/12/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 117; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Universal
Posted May 4 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Read an exclusive excerpt from Estelle Laure's 'This Raging Light'
- 'Silicon Valley' star T.J. Miller on his 'absurd' HBO pilot 'The Gorburger Show'
- Casting Net: Woody Harrelson, Laura Dern in negotiations for 'Wilson'
- Natalie Portman relives 'dark moments' at Harvard in commencement speech
- Thom Yorke made an 18-day-long soundtrack, still not new Radiohead music
- 'Serial' set for two more seasons
- Jenelle Evans of 'Teen Mom 2': Arrest warrant