American shorthand for the very brilliant, very cocky, and very toxic friend at the heart of Emmanuel Bourdieu’s satisfying French drama Poison Friends would be underminer: André (Thibault Vinçon) by turn counsels and bullies his university pals with his intellectual brio and cool self-assurance. And the pals? They’re eager to think he’s as magnifique as he thinks he is, even as he mucks about, cruelly, with their fates. While the young people chatter about life and literature with sometimes overbearing self-satisfaction, the astute filmmaker observes their pretentious gum-flapping with a mixture of amusement, compassion, and wised-up rue.
Genre: Drama; Starring: Alexandre Steiger, Thibault Vincon, Malik Zidi; Director: Emmanuel Bourdieu; Author: Emmanuel Bourdieu, Marcia Romano; Release Date Limited: 04/27/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 107; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Strand Releasing
Posted May 9 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Top Gear' unveils full lineup of hosts
- Jimmy Fallon unveiled his own Bernie Sanders impression last night
- Peyton Manning and Magic Johnson break eggs on their heads for Jimmy Fallon
- J.K. Rowling clarifies 'Cursed Child' book
- Penelope Cruz and Jimmy Fallon Dubsmash 'Frozen' song
- See 29 celebrities recite Justin Bieber's 'Sorry'
- Sacha Baron Cohen shows Jimmy Kimmel graphic 'Brothers Grimsby' clip
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs
- See '90s Stars at the 1996 'Broken Arrow' Premiere
- 35 Tom Hiddleston Photos For His 35th Birthday