Bollywood superstar Aishwarya Rai is gorgeous even in prison. She’s there, we’re meant to empathize, as a virtuous Indian wife and mother in London who kills her abusive husband (Lost’s Naveen Andrews) in Provoked. Based on a true story, this Indian variation on a theme of The Burning Bed emphasizes the psychological freedom the inmate finds behind bars (especially with Miranda Richardson as a plucky cellmate). But director Jag Mundhra doesn’t do enough to clarify that killing, however horrible the man, really isn’t okay, even for beautiful women.
Genre: Drama; Starring: Aishwarya Rai, Miranda Richardson, Naveen Andrews; Director: Jag Mundhra; Author: Carl Austin, Rahila Gupta; Release Date Limited: 05/11/2007; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 113; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Eros
Posted May 16 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Ronda Rousey to star in film adaptation of her autobiography
- Amazon's Nazi America fantasy High Castle to pose questions about modern politics
- Fantastic Fest: Nicolas Winding Refn on the film posters that drive him wild
- 'DC's Legends of Tomorrow' casts Hawkman
- Taissa Farmiga and Nina Dobrev go back to camp in 'The Final Girls'
- A 'Dungeons & Dragons' film franchise is on its way
- 'Sleepy Hollow' trades Headless for a familiar face