Infuse The Last of the Mohicans with the bloodlust of 300, and you have Apocalypto, Mel Gibson’s thrilling tale of one man’s footrace through savage pre-Columbian Mexico to save his family. The subtitles don’t detract from Gibson’s sharp, visual style, and a fresh-faced cast resurrects the captivating ancient Mayans. EXTRAS Passion of the Christ director Gibson may revel in torturous violence, but he says in a commentary that the human sacrifice scene could’ve been worse. Think handless, footless, and, eww, skinless: ”We’re letting you off light, folks.” B+
Genre: Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Rudy Youngblood, Dalia Hernandez; Director: Mel Gibson; Author: Mel Gibson, Farhad Safinia; Release Date Wide: 12/08/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 137; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Buena Vista Pictures
Posted January 17 2015 — 9:14 AM EST
- Casting Net: Courtney Love, Timothy Hutton, Giancarlo Esposito join James Franco's 'The Long Home'
- Nicki Minaj joins 'Barbershop 3' cast
- 'Forever' sneak peek: John Noble puts Henry to a test he nearly fails
- 'Late Show' sneak peek: President Obama, David Letterman make retirement plans
- 'The Flash': Iris confronts Barry with the truth
- Jada Pinkett Smith on Fish Mooney's fate as 'Gotham' wraps season 1
- Orlando Jones exits 'Sleepy Hollow'
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Gisele Bündchen, Patrick Dempsey, Rosamund Pike & More!