Infuse The Last of the Mohicans with the bloodlust of 300, and you have Apocalypto, Mel Gibson’s thrilling tale of one man’s footrace through savage pre-Columbian Mexico to save his family. The subtitles don’t detract from Gibson’s sharp, visual style, and a fresh-faced cast resurrects the captivating ancient Mayans. EXTRAS Passion of the Christ director Gibson may revel in torturous violence, but he says in a commentary that the human sacrifice scene could’ve been worse. Think handless, footless, and, eww, skinless: ”We’re letting you off light, folks.” B+
Genre: Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Rudy Youngblood, Dalia Hernandez; Director: Mel Gibson; Author: Mel Gibson, Farhad Safinia; Release Date Wide: 12/08/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 137; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Buena Vista Pictures
Posted May 18 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Now's your chance to see 'Mad Max: Fury Road' in IMAX theaters
- Obama to honor Stephen King, Sally Field with National Medals of Arts
- Queen Elizabeth is a huge fan of 'Downton Abbey'
- You can binge all of TNT's new show 'Public Morals' — only on Labor Day weekend
- New 'Batman v Superman' pics show Wonder Woman, the Batmobile
- 'Star Wars: Aftermath': Finding Han Solo for a quick galactic run
- Kanye West sends Taylor Swift flowers after the 2015 VMAs
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Union, Karlie Kloss & More!