Infuse The Last of the Mohicans with the bloodlust of 300, and you have Apocalypto, Mel Gibson’s thrilling tale of one man’s footrace through savage pre-Columbian Mexico to save his family. The subtitles don’t detract from Gibson’s sharp, visual style, and a fresh-faced cast resurrects the captivating ancient Mayans. EXTRAS Passion of the Christ director Gibson may revel in torturous violence, but he says in a commentary that the human sacrifice scene could’ve been worse. Think handless, footless, and, eww, skinless: ”We’re letting you off light, folks.” B+
Genre: Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Rudy Youngblood, Dalia Hernandez; Director: Mel Gibson; Author: Mel Gibson, Farhad Safinia; Release Date Wide: 12/08/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 137; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Buena Vista Pictures
Posted January 17 2015 — 9:14 AM EST
- Jerry Seinfeld on Wale: 'He's got that true artistic spirit'
- 'Orphan Black' star Jordan Gavaris talks Felix
- Kids' Choice Awards host Nick Jonas answers questions from kids
- 'Walking Dead' star Tovah Feldshuh on Rick-Deanna showdown
- '12 Monkeys' exec producer: THAT Ramse arc 'planned from the first minute'
- Prince sued in recording battle over 'Voice' singer Judith Hill
- James Bond enters a 'hurricane' in first 'Spectre' teaser
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- Jimmy Fallon, Liv Tyler, Emilia Clarke & More!