The hyperarticulate women in Helen Simpson’s stories live half in the world, half in their overcrowded heads, worrying about cancer, traffic, kids, and their souls, sometimes all at once. A zippy collection, In the Driver’s Seat, includes a few throwaway comic fables, but Simpson’s best work chronicles what runs through a woman’s mind in the course of a walk or, as in ”Early One Morning,” a carpool drive. As Zoe listens to children discuss tapeworms, she contemplates macchiatos, divorce, and the arc of a mother’s life: ”clear and wide to begin with, narrowing down to the tunnel of the middle years, then flaring wide again before the sands ran out.” Or so she hopes. A-
In the Driver's Seat The hyperarticulate women in Helen Simpson's stories live half in the world, half in their overcrowded heads, worrying about cancer, traffic, kids, ...In the Driver's SeatShort Stories, FictionHelen Simpson The hyperarticulate women in Helen Simpson's stories live half in the world, half in their overcrowded heads, worrying about cancer, traffic, kids, ...2007-05-18Knopf
Genre: Short Stories, Fiction; Author: Helen Simpson; Publisher: Knopf
Posted May 18 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Supergirl' taps 'Sons of Anarchy' alum as DC Comics villain Reactron
- Carly Rae Jepsen rewrites 'I Really Like You' for 'Comedy Bang! Bang!'
- Ice Cube says Dr. Dre is dropping a new album on Aug. 1
- New 'Faking It' trailer features a steamy Karmy kiss
- Keaton, McAdams investigate the Catholic Church in 'Spotlight' trailer
- Foals premiere interactive video for 'Mountain at My Gates'
- MTV's 'Scream' renewed for season 2
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Tyra Banks, The Madden Bros., Taylor Schilling & More!