In The Fountain, an unfashionably earnest meditation on death and immortality, Hugh Jackman plays a medical researcher scrambling to save his terminally ill wife (Rachel Weisz). Director/co-writer Darren Aronofsky thickens his esoteric themes by having the actors also play a 16th-century Spanish queen and conquistador and, in a third intersecting layer, plopping Jackman in an outer-space bubble. It’s visually fascinating, but also airless and baffling. EXTRAS Don’t expect the one doc to provide any answers. Its biggest revelation? The Tree of Life’s sap was actually frosting.
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: Hugh Jackman, Rachel Weisz, Ellen Burstyn; Director: Darren Aronofsky; Author: Darren Aronofsky, Ari Handel; Release Date Wide: 11/22/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 96; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Regency Enterprises, Warner Bros.
Posted May 18 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Scandal': Bellamy Young talks Fitz and Olivia's now-public affair
- Advocacy group criticizes 'The Martian' for changing Asian-American characters
- Julie Plec blogs the season 3 premiere of 'The Originals'
- Luke Evans, Henry Cavill join Nicholas Hoult in 'Sand Castle'
- This new preview of 'Room' will make you want to call your mom
- Julie's Diary: Julie Plec blogs the 'Vampire Diaries' season 7 premiere
- 'Game of Thrones' cast speculates about season 6 (and beyond) at NYCC