In The Fountain, an unfashionably earnest meditation on death and immortality, Hugh Jackman plays a medical researcher scrambling to save his terminally ill wife (Rachel Weisz). Director/co-writer Darren Aronofsky thickens his esoteric themes by having the actors also play a 16th-century Spanish queen and conquistador and, in a third intersecting layer, plopping Jackman in an outer-space bubble. It’s visually fascinating, but also airless and baffling. EXTRAS Don’t expect the one doc to provide any answers. Its biggest revelation? The Tree of Life’s sap was actually frosting.
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: Hugh Jackman, Rachel Weisz, Ellen Burstyn; Director: Darren Aronofsky; Author: Darren Aronofsky, Ari Handel; Release Date Wide: 11/22/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 96; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Regency Enterprises, Warner Bros.
Posted May 18 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Daytime Emmys: Kelly and Michael take home the gold
- 'Quantico' postmortem: What THAT reveal means for Alex
- 'Silicon Valley': Producers talk shocking horse-sex scene
- 'Game of Thrones': Kit Harington breaks his silence -- EXCLUSIVE
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' showrunner takes us inside those Strand flashbacks
- 'Game of Thrones' star explains Ramsay's horrifying 'Home' murders
- 'Game of Thrones': Jon Snow's fate finally revealed
- See President Obama's Very First White House Correspondents Dinner
- 13 Times Real Pain Inspired Great Art
- Destiny's Child's Best Matching Outfits Through the Years
- 'The Simpsons': See the Voices Behind Your Favorite Characters
- All the Photos From Beyonce's 'Formation' Tour
- 40 Celebrities Who Threw Out The First Pitch