In The Fountain, an unfashionably earnest meditation on death and immortality, Hugh Jackman plays a medical researcher scrambling to save his terminally ill wife (Rachel Weisz). Director/co-writer Darren Aronofsky thickens his esoteric themes by having the actors also play a 16th-century Spanish queen and conquistador and, in a third intersecting layer, plopping Jackman in an outer-space bubble. It’s visually fascinating, but also airless and baffling. EXTRAS Don’t expect the one doc to provide any answers. Its biggest revelation? The Tree of Life’s sap was actually frosting.
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: Hugh Jackman, Rachel Weisz, Ellen Burstyn; Director: Darren Aronofsky; Author: Darren Aronofsky, Ari Handel; Release Date Wide: 11/22/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 96; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Regency Enterprises, Warner Bros.
Posted May 18 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Casting Net: Patricia Arquette to voice witch in Troll: The Rise of Harry Potter Jr.
- Caitlyn Jenner practices her 'feminine voice' in 'I Am Cait' clip
- Dwayne Johnson on Hulk Hogan's racist rant: 'We've all talked trash'
- Jared Padalecki posted his first-ever #TBT: 13 more 'Supernatural' throwbacks
- Betty White is furious about the killing of Cecil the lion
- Fox cancels Ryan Seacrest's 'Knock Knock Live' after 2 episodes
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Jennifer Lopez, Brad Pitt, Candace & Lori and More!