In The Fountain, an unfashionably earnest meditation on death and immortality, Hugh Jackman plays a medical researcher scrambling to save his terminally ill wife (Rachel Weisz). Director/co-writer Darren Aronofsky thickens his esoteric themes by having the actors also play a 16th-century Spanish queen and conquistador and, in a third intersecting layer, plopping Jackman in an outer-space bubble. It’s visually fascinating, but also airless and baffling. EXTRAS Don’t expect the one doc to provide any answers. Its biggest revelation? The Tree of Life’s sap was actually frosting.
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: Hugh Jackman, Rachel Weisz, Ellen Burstyn; Director: Darren Aronofsky; Author: Darren Aronofsky, Ari Handel; Release Date Wide: 11/22/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 96; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Regency Enterprises, Warner Bros.
Posted January 17 2015 — 9:14 AM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Naomi Campbell, Jessica & Rosario, the Star Wars Cast & More