In The Fountain, an unfashionably earnest meditation on death and immortality, Hugh Jackman plays a medical researcher scrambling to save his terminally ill wife (Rachel Weisz). Director/co-writer Darren Aronofsky thickens his esoteric themes by having the actors also play a 16th-century Spanish queen and conquistador and, in a third intersecting layer, plopping Jackman in an outer-space bubble. It’s visually fascinating, but also airless and baffling. EXTRAS Don’t expect the one doc to provide any answers. Its biggest revelation? The Tree of Life’s sap was actually frosting.
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: Hugh Jackman, Rachel Weisz, Ellen Burstyn; Director: Darren Aronofsky; Author: Darren Aronofsky, Ari Handel; Release Date Wide: 11/22/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 96; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Regency Enterprises, Warner Bros.
Posted May 18 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'X-Files' writer on Monday night's huge spoiler
- Lupita Nyong'o in talks to star in sci-fi thriller 'Intelligent Life'
- 'Orange Is the New Black' star Taryn Manning is suing New York City over 2014 arrest
- 'Taxi Driver' turns 40: Five ways the movie affected pop culture
- Billy Eichner's trailer was hit by a truck while he was inside
- ZZ Top's Billy Gibbons to star in Discovery pilot 'Rockin' Roadsters'
- 'The Flash' star Danielle Panabaker teases Killer Frost's icy Earth-2 debut