In The Fountain, an unfashionably earnest meditation on death and immortality, Hugh Jackman plays a medical researcher scrambling to save his terminally ill wife (Rachel Weisz). Director/co-writer Darren Aronofsky thickens his esoteric themes by having the actors also play a 16th-century Spanish queen and conquistador and, in a third intersecting layer, plopping Jackman in an outer-space bubble. It’s visually fascinating, but also airless and baffling. EXTRAS Don’t expect the one doc to provide any answers. Its biggest revelation? The Tree of Life’s sap was actually frosting.
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: Hugh Jackman, Rachel Weisz, Ellen Burstyn; Director: Darren Aronofsky; Author: Darren Aronofsky, Ari Handel; Release Date Wide: 11/22/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 96; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Regency Enterprises, Warner Bros.
Posted May 18 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Ann Coulter slammed at Rob Lowe roast for conservative views
- Listen to Led Zeppelin's Lost 'Sunshine Woman' Track
- Ava DuVernay tweets support for Leslie Jones: 'Stay up, sis'
- Here's why Giancarlo Esposito turned down a Marvel TV role
- 'Jason Bourne' 3-D screenings causing nausea and protests in China
- Olympian auctions off medal to pay young boy's medical bills
- Nicole Scherzinger's Britney Spears impression is 'Crazy' good