In The Fountain, an unfashionably earnest meditation on death and immortality, Hugh Jackman plays a medical researcher scrambling to save his terminally ill wife (Rachel Weisz). Director/co-writer Darren Aronofsky thickens his esoteric themes by having the actors also play a 16th-century Spanish queen and conquistador and, in a third intersecting layer, plopping Jackman in an outer-space bubble. It’s visually fascinating, but also airless and baffling. EXTRAS Don’t expect the one doc to provide any answers. Its biggest revelation? The Tree of Life’s sap was actually frosting.
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: Hugh Jackman, Rachel Weisz, Ellen Burstyn; Director: Darren Aronofsky; Author: Darren Aronofsky, Ari Handel; Release Date Wide: 11/22/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 96; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Regency Enterprises, Warner Bros.
Posted May 18 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Fast & Furious' director Justin Lin to helm 'Hot Wheels' film
- 'Italian Job' TV series in the works at NBC
- 'NCIS' cast, Michael Weatherly mourn late producer Gary Glasberg
- Lin-Manuel Miranda will appear at 'Mary Poppins' screening
- Agnes Nixon, creator of 'All My Children, dies at 88
- 'Real Housewives of Atlanta' season 9 trailer teases plenty of shade
- 'John Wick: Chapter 2' photo: The hitman's new dog is still by his side