In The Fountain, an unfashionably earnest meditation on death and immortality, Hugh Jackman plays a medical researcher scrambling to save his terminally ill wife (Rachel Weisz). Director/co-writer Darren Aronofsky thickens his esoteric themes by having the actors also play a 16th-century Spanish queen and conquistador and, in a third intersecting layer, plopping Jackman in an outer-space bubble. It’s visually fascinating, but also airless and baffling. EXTRAS Don’t expect the one doc to provide any answers. Its biggest revelation? The Tree of Life’s sap was actually frosting.
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: Hugh Jackman, Rachel Weisz, Ellen Burstyn; Director: Darren Aronofsky; Author: Darren Aronofsky, Ari Handel; Release Date Wide: 11/22/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 96; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Regency Enterprises, Warner Bros.
Posted May 18 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Listen to David Tennant explain Einstein's theory of general relativity
- See the fiery opening title sequence for 'The Shannara Chronicles'
- Daniel Radcliffe is jealous of Eddie Redmayne's 'Fantastic Beasts' costume
- Ron Howard set to direct thriller 'The Girl Before'
- Ice-T and Coco welcome daughter Chanel Nicole
- John Stamos shares high school prom throwback photo
- Chris Miller shares an update on 'The Lego Movie' sequel