In The Fountain, an unfashionably earnest meditation on death and immortality, Hugh Jackman plays a medical researcher scrambling to save his terminally ill wife (Rachel Weisz). Director/co-writer Darren Aronofsky thickens his esoteric themes by having the actors also play a 16th-century Spanish queen and conquistador and, in a third intersecting layer, plopping Jackman in an outer-space bubble. It’s visually fascinating, but also airless and baffling. EXTRAS Don’t expect the one doc to provide any answers. Its biggest revelation? The Tree of Life’s sap was actually frosting.
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: Hugh Jackman, Rachel Weisz, Ellen Burstyn; Director: Darren Aronofsky; Author: Darren Aronofsky, Ari Handel; Release Date Wide: 11/22/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 96; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Regency Enterprises, Warner Bros.
Posted May 18 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- President Obama smacks down Trump for his Mean Tweet
- Ryan Adams is done covering albums after Taylor Swift's '1989'
- Watch the first two episodes of Hulu's 'Freakish'
- Hanson sang the national anthem the last time Cleveland made the World Series
- 'DWTS' used the 'Outlander' theme song — and it went over big
- Michael Gleason, 'Remington Steele' co-creator, dies at 78
- 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Can the team work with Daisy and Ghost Rider?