Marooned in the Dickensian squalor of a Russian orphanage, 6-year-old Vanya (Kolya Spiridonov) gets hope for a new life when an Italian couple contracts to adopt him. Vanya, however, has other plans, scheming his way free to find the mother who abandoned him. Andrei Kravchuk’s drama seems frontloaded with clich-a e]s (the plucky foundling, the hooker with a heart of you-know-what), but The Italian avoids total pathos with brisk storytelling and moving performances, especially from the self-possessed Spiridonov. EXTRAS None. B
Genre: Foreign Language, Drama; Starring: Kolya Spiridonov, Maria Kuznetsova; Director: Andrei Kravchuk; Author: Andrei Romanov; Release Date Limited: 01/19/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted May 18 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Agent Carter' takes on Tinseltown in season 2 teaser
- Idris Elba 'nearly died' filming 'Beasts of No Nation'
- Zach Galligan wants to return for 'Gremlins 3'
- Hear Erykah Badu and Andre 3000 team up for 'Hello'
- 'Gods of Egypt' director: 'Our casting choices should have been more diverse'
- Patti LaBelle spends Thanksgiving with pie fan James Wright
- Hear Sia's new single 'One Million Bullets'