Though the fantastical pop star is often considered a musical emissary from another galaxy, Björk is in fact a true citizen of this world. For her sixth studio album, the multifaceted Volta, the 41-year-old traveled from a cabin in Iceland to a boat off Tunisia, then to Manhattan where she lives part-time along with her partner, acclaimed artist Matthew Barney, and their daughter. (Recently, she parked herself in the California desert to headline Coachella.) ”What I like about music [is] that it is abstract,” she says, seated barefoot and kimonoed in a New York studio. ”You can pass it through to people, situations, whatever you want.” One such person? Producer Timbaland, who collaborated with Björk on three Volta songs; it turns out the two go way back. ”He sampled one of my tracks 11 years ago. We both love music and beats from the Silk Road — North Africa, India.” But don’t expect any bootylicious new videos. ”I didn’t approach him because I wanted to be accepted into a new genre. I mean, don’t put my music in leather pants and high heels,” she laughs, ”or I’ll hit you!”
Posted January 17 2015 — 9:14 AM EST
- 'Full House' revival at Netflix officially on; 13 episodes to arrive in 2016
- 'Inside Amy Schumer' renewed
- 'RuPaul's Drag Race': Our audience with returning queen
- 'Bachelorette' first promo: This crazytown ain't big enough for the both of them
- 'Originals' boss breaks down latest shockers, previews a devastating finale
- 'Ant-Man' gets a tiny billboard campaign
- Django Django unveil trippy, magenta-hued video for 'Beginning to Fade'
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet style: We grade the looks
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet arrivals: What they wore
- Blake Lively in 'Age of Adaline': Style when you're forever 29
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- Katy Perry, Tim & Faith, Blake Lively and More!