Though the fantastical pop star is often considered a musical emissary from another galaxy, Björk is in fact a true citizen of this world. For her sixth studio album, the multifaceted Volta, the 41-year-old traveled from a cabin in Iceland to a boat off Tunisia, then to Manhattan where she lives part-time along with her partner, acclaimed artist Matthew Barney, and their daughter. (Recently, she parked herself in the California desert to headline Coachella.) ”What I like about music [is] that it is abstract,” she says, seated barefoot and kimonoed in a New York studio. ”You can pass it through to people, situations, whatever you want.” One such person? Producer Timbaland, who collaborated with Björk on three Volta songs; it turns out the two go way back. ”He sampled one of my tracks 11 years ago. We both love music and beats from the Silk Road — North Africa, India.” But don’t expect any bootylicious new videos. ”I didn’t approach him because I wanted to be accepted into a new genre. I mean, don’t put my music in leather pants and high heels,” she laughs, ”or I’ll hit you!”
Posted May 18 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Ansel Elgort remembers former classmate after his death
- New 'Downton Abbey' trailer previews final season
- 'Les Miserables' actor dies at 21
- Jackson family remembers Michael Jackson on his birthday
- Amal Clooney says Egyptian Al-Jazeera conviction 'sends a dangerous message'
- 5 best non-singles from Kanye West's 'Late Registration' on its 10th anniversary
- 'Supernatural': Jensen Ackles talks season 11's female big bad
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Demi Lovato, Nicki Minaj, Bill Murray, Bruce Willis and More!