Though the fantastical pop star is often considered a musical emissary from another galaxy, Björk is in fact a true citizen of this world. For her sixth studio album, the multifaceted Volta, the 41-year-old traveled from a cabin in Iceland to a boat off Tunisia, then to Manhattan where she lives part-time along with her partner, acclaimed artist Matthew Barney, and their daughter. (Recently, she parked herself in the California desert to headline Coachella.) ”What I like about music [is] that it is abstract,” she says, seated barefoot and kimonoed in a New York studio. ”You can pass it through to people, situations, whatever you want.” One such person? Producer Timbaland, who collaborated with Björk on three Volta songs; it turns out the two go way back. ”He sampled one of my tracks 11 years ago. We both love music and beats from the Silk Road — North Africa, India.” But don’t expect any bootylicious new videos. ”I didn’t approach him because I wanted to be accepted into a new genre. I mean, don’t put my music in leather pants and high heels,” she laughs, ”or I’ll hit you!”
Posted May 18 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt blazes through aptitude test in 'Snowden' clip
- Jon Favreau to direct Seth MacFarlane's space-set comedic drama 'Orville'
- Ariana Grande, Nicki Minaj are reuniting for another VMAs performance
- VMAs: DJ Khaled, Key and Peele, Jay Pharoah to cover show in lieu of host
- Christoph Waltz in talks for James Cameron's 'Alita: Battle Angel'
- 'Doctor Strange' recruits 'Community' creator Dan Harmon for script assist
- 'Fuller House': Candace Cameron Bure, NKOTB star recreate adorable photo
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...