Though the fantastical pop star is often considered a musical emissary from another galaxy, Björk is in fact a true citizen of this world. For her sixth studio album, the multifaceted Volta, the 41-year-old traveled from a cabin in Iceland to a boat off Tunisia, then to Manhattan where she lives part-time along with her partner, acclaimed artist Matthew Barney, and their daughter. (Recently, she parked herself in the California desert to headline Coachella.) ”What I like about music [is] that it is abstract,” she says, seated barefoot and kimonoed in a New York studio. ”You can pass it through to people, situations, whatever you want.” One such person? Producer Timbaland, who collaborated with Björk on three Volta songs; it turns out the two go way back. ”He sampled one of my tracks 11 years ago. We both love music and beats from the Silk Road — North Africa, India.” But don’t expect any bootylicious new videos. ”I didn’t approach him because I wanted to be accepted into a new genre. I mean, don’t put my music in leather pants and high heels,” she laughs, ”or I’ll hit you!”
Posted May 18 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'X-Men' alum Famke Janssen joins 'How to Get Away with Murder'
- Bottoms up! Here's your 'Bachelor in Paradise' drinking game
- New Dirk Gently TV show in the works from Chronicle writer
- See Joseph Gordon-Levitt try Snapchat for the first time
- Director talks about Dr. Dre on the set of 'Straight Outta Compton'
- Chris Pratt wants fans to design his Facebook cover photo
- Lost F. Scott Fitzgerald story to be published after 76 years
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Amy Poehler, Justin Theroux, Rihanna & More!