Dustin Hoffman proves, in the unsung ’70s-cinema classic Straight Time, that a great actor doesn’t necessarily need to fit the part to give a great performance. As Max Dembo, an explosive con out on parole and drawn back to robbery, the diminutive star at first looks miscast; it doesn’t help that his love interest is played by the too-beautiful Theresa Russell. Yet Hoffman is so fierce, he wills you into belief. Turning his intent eyes into beads and lowering his voice to woo his girl, or calmly spar with his sleazy parole officer (M. Emmet Walsh), or soothe his itchy accomplice (Harry Dean Stanton), the actor persuasively creates his own kind of villain, rich in contradiction and detail. When Dembo gets excited, Hoffman gives him the slightest of Southern drawls, and it makes him sound, unfortunately, a little like a proto-Dorothy Michaels from Tootsie. But the choice is so fascinating and precise that you marvel at the acting anyway. (In a commentary, Hoffman says he spent some two years hanging around criminals doing research.) Dembo, however improbably, turns out to be one of the actor’s finest creations. A-
Straight Time Dustin Hoffman proves, in the unsung '70s-cinema classic Straight Time, that a great actor doesn't necessarily need to fit the part to...Straight TimeDrama, Mystery and ThrillerPT114MR Dustin Hoffman proves, in the unsung '70s-cinema classic Straight Time, that a great actor doesn't necessarily need to fit the part to...2007-05-18Warner Bros.
Genre: Drama, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Dustin Hoffman, Theresa Russell; Director: Ulu Grosbard; Runtime (in minutes): 114; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted May 18 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- NBC pulls plug on 'Coach' revival
- 'AHS: Hotel': Ryan Murphy shares three super creepy teasers
- Casting Net: Missi Pyle, Joey Lawrence hit horse rescue drama 'Emma's Chance'
- Rick Ross announces new album will be released this week
- Kesha to guest-star on 'Jane the Virgin'
- 'Dancing With the Stars': Peta Murgatroyd to skip season due to injury
- Jack Black wants to tell you a story in the new 'Goosebumps' trailer
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Reese Witherspoon, Aziz Ansari, Brooks & Julianne and More!