Angel-A shows how director Luc Besson can be French in a way that even the French might despise. Take this awful concoction, set in a high-gloss Paris, in which André (Jamel Debbouze), a sawed-off Algerian loser — he’s meant to be Chaplinesque, but comes off more like Luis Guzmán with heartburn — is rescued from self-hatred by his guardian supermodel (Rie Rasmussen), who’s like an Aryan dominatrix out of Helmut Newton. Surely, she’s the perfect messenger to deliver the news that it’s the beauty inside that counts. Quel ick. And très tedious. D-
Genre: Romance, Comedy; Starring: Jamel Debbouze, Rie Rasmussen; Director: Luc Besson; Author: Luc Besson; Release Date Limited: 05/25/2007; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 90; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted May 23 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- FKA twigs makes Monday sexy with hot new track, 'Figure 8'
- Demi Lovato explains how she's like Nicki Minaj & Rihanna
- John Oliver: 'It's hard to overstate' Jon Stewart's influence on my career
- Watch Drake and LeBron James (almost) play kickball
- Simon Kinberg defends 'Fantastic 4': 'It’s not a disaster'
- Fall Out Boy, The Black Keys, and more are coming to 'Rock Band 4'
- EWwy Awards 2015: Sam Heughan, Andrew Lincoln face off