”Presented” by Martin Scorsese, the Italian immigration drama Golden Door is a sluggish procedural on what it was like to make the journey to Ellis Island back in the day. As a Sicilian widower (Vincenzo Amato) leads his mother and two sons overseas, we don’t see that much that Chaplin didn’t cover when he made The Immigrant in 1917. Despite a few welcome bits of whimsy, and the lovely presence of The Science of Sleep’s Charlotte Gainsbourg as a sad-faced Englishwoman on the boat, Door feels as long as a transatlantic voyage. C
Genre: Drama; Starring: Vincenzo Amato, Charlotte Gainsbourg; Director: Emanuele Crialese; Author: Emanuele Crialese; Release Date Limited: 05/25/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 118; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Miramax
Posted May 23 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Colton Haynes accepts HRC award: 'Equality is our birthright'
- 'Ice Road Truckers' star Darrell Ward dies in plane crash
- Florida Georgia Line talk working with Tim McGraw for 'powerful' new video
- 'A Monster Calls' release set for awards season
- Sturgill Simpson slams Academy of Country Music over Merle Haggard Award
- 'The Fosters': EP gives hope for season 4B after that intense finale
- Natalie Portman has a good reason for not showing her son 'Star Wars'