As far as I’m concerned, the screwball comedy Ball of Fire holds its own against better-known classics like His Girl Friday and It Happened One Night. Barbara Stanwyck and her (as Gary Cooper puts it) ”extremely disturbing body” star as Sugarpuss O’Shea, a nightclub singer hiding from gangsters in a townhouse full of fuddy-duddy professors. When Cooper catches her eye, the movie — coscripted by Billy Wilder — morphs from an adorable Snow White farce into a touching paean to falling for a nerd (”[He] looks like a giraffe, and I love him!”). EXTRAS None. But who cares? A
Genre: Drama, Comedy; Starring: Gary Cooper, Barbara Stanwyck; Director: Howard Hawks; Author: Charles Brackett, Billy Wilder; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): In Season; MPAA Rating: In Season
Posted May 25 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Sports Illustrated' reveals how the NFL persuaded Michael Jackson to perform at the Super Bowl
- Rachael Taylor joins 'A.K.A. Jessica Jones'
- Study: Binge-watching TV might make you sad
- A.J. McLean previews 'raw' Backstreet Boys documentary
- NEEDTOBREATHE teams with Gavin DeGraw for 'Brother'
- Disney to intro its first Latina princess
- Box office preview: 'Project Almanac' joins 'American Sniper' in theaters