As far as I’m concerned, the screwball comedy Ball of Fire holds its own against better-known classics like His Girl Friday and It Happened One Night. Barbara Stanwyck and her (as Gary Cooper puts it) ”extremely disturbing body” star as Sugarpuss O’Shea, a nightclub singer hiding from gangsters in a townhouse full of fuddy-duddy professors. When Cooper catches her eye, the movie — coscripted by Billy Wilder — morphs from an adorable Snow White farce into a touching paean to falling for a nerd (”[He] looks like a giraffe, and I love him!”). EXTRAS None. But who cares? A
Ball of FireAs far as I'm concerned, the screwball comedy Ball of Fire holds its own against better-known classics like His Girl Friday and ...Ball of FireDrama, ComedyCharles Brackett, Billy WilderPT131MUnratedAs far as I'm concerned, the screwball comedy Ball of Fire holds its own against better-known classics like His Girl Friday and ...2007-05-25
Genre: Drama, Comedy; Starring: Gary Cooper, Barbara Stanwyck; Director: Howard Hawks; Author: Charles Brackett, Billy Wilder; Runtime (in minutes): 131; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted May 25 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Look, but don't retouch? Female celeb photo debate
- Margot Robbie's 'Focus' audition, a.k.a. 'the craziest 24 hours of my life'
- 'Focus' is weekend's No. 1 movie; 'Fifty Shades of Grey' drops to No. 4
- 'SNL' react: Your quick take on Dakota Johnson and Alabama Shakes?
- Kanye's new album: 'So Help Me God'
- 'Parks and Rec': On set for the final day
- John Green's 'Alaska' scriptwriters set
- 20 TV series that nailed it with their very first scenes
- 'Last Man on Earth' guys salute inspirations
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Brad, Lea & Darren, Paul and More!