Precious Higginson is fussing through a middle-class life in Jamaica when her husband dies. Settling in Miami with her grown daughter, she becomes a maid to a very rich female. To be exact, a very rich canine: ”He was the size and shape of an obese baby warthog…. The dog strutted onto the lawn with the prudish, self-important trot of a centipede.” Now, I’m not sure centipedes really do that — Dog War’s overripe prose is its main defect — but the novel still offers an amusing glance at America through an immigrant’s eye, a breezy treat to keep you company on the beach at Montego Bay or, perhaps, your local dog park. B
Posted January 17 2015 — 9:14 AM EST
- Jamie Foxx makes controversial Bruce Jenner joke at iHeartRadio Music Awards
- Play a 'Super Mario 64' level online for free
- Death threats against BBC director investigated following Jeremy Clarkson firing
- Harrison Ford released from hospital following plane crash: Report
- Chrissy Teigen, Ludacris to host Billboard Music Awards
- Deadline editor apologizes for controversial diversity in casting article
- Gallant drops a rain-streaked video for his next-level slow jam 'Open Up': Exclusive
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Blake Shelton, Destiny's Child, Clare & Don and More!