When a reporter (George Clooney) reconnects with a beautiful fräulein (Cate Blanchett) in postwar Berlin, murder, black-market intrigue, and bitter love triangles unapologetically evoke Casablanca in The Good German. Steven Soderbergh’s murky shadows and washed-out whites work better at home, flickering on the small screen like an old Late Late Movie, but his determined homage to 1940s Hollywood flirts with gimmickry. Only Blanchett feels authentically film noir, as her sly eyes transform the fair-skinned actress into an alluringly dark siren. EXTRAS None. B-
(Melinda Sue Gordon)
Genre: Drama, Romance; Starring: Cate Blanchett, George Clooney, Beau Bridges, Tobey Maguire; Director: Steven Soderbergh; Author: Paul Attanasio; Release Date Wide: 01/19/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 105; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted May 25 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Bob Saget joins 'Fuller House,' says John Stamos in a tweet
- 'Wayward Pines' boss Chad Hodge talks episode 3: The Terrence Howard hymnal you didn't hear
- National Spelling Bee announces two champions
- '19 Kids & Counting' nix: Hulu exec says...
- Mariah Carey: 'Idol' was 'worst experience of my life'
- Kristen Bell live tweets her mistaken UberPool ride
- Casting Net: B.J. Novak joins Michael Keaton's 'The Founder,' Will Forte boards Key & Peele comedy