When a reporter (George Clooney) reconnects with a beautiful fräulein (Cate Blanchett) in postwar Berlin, murder, black-market intrigue, and bitter love triangles unapologetically evoke Casablanca in The Good German. Steven Soderbergh’s murky shadows and washed-out whites work better at home, flickering on the small screen like an old Late Late Movie, but his determined homage to 1940s Hollywood flirts with gimmickry. Only Blanchett feels authentically film noir, as her sly eyes transform the fair-skinned actress into an alluringly dark siren. EXTRAS None. B-
(Melinda Sue Gordon)
Genre: Drama, Romance; Starring: Cate Blanchett, George Clooney, Beau Bridges, Tobey Maguire; Director: Steven Soderbergh; Author: Paul Attanasio; Release Date Limited: 12/15/2006; Release Date Wide: 01/19/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 105; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted May 25 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Shia LaBeouf arrested in Austin for public intoxication
- The 'Robot Chicken' cast can't stop talking about 'Pretty Little Liars'
- 'Mr. Robot' cast reveal how they recover from intense scenes
- Fox cuts 'Minority Report' order to 10 episodes
- 'Con Man' panel fulfilled our 'Firefly' dreams at New York Comic Con
- Clark Gregg on whether 'Agents of SHIELD' will ever encounter mutants
- Watch Aladdin and Jasmine reunite for 'A Whole New World'