When a reporter (George Clooney) reconnects with a beautiful fräulein (Cate Blanchett) in postwar Berlin, murder, black-market intrigue, and bitter love triangles unapologetically evoke Casablanca in The Good German. Steven Soderbergh’s murky shadows and washed-out whites work better at home, flickering on the small screen like an old Late Late Movie, but his determined homage to 1940s Hollywood flirts with gimmickry. Only Blanchett feels authentically film noir, as her sly eyes transform the fair-skinned actress into an alluringly dark siren. EXTRAS None. B-
(Melinda Sue Gordon)
Genre: Drama, Romance; Starring: Cate Blanchett, George Clooney, Beau Bridges, Tobey Maguire; Director: Steven Soderbergh; Author: Paul Attanasio; Release Date Limited: 12/15/2006; Release Date Wide: 01/19/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 105; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted May 25 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Oscars 2016: Michael B. Jordan, Daisy Ridley, Cate Blanchett join presenters
- Miramax, Roadside in talks to distribute Obama romance movie 'Southside With You'
- Kanye West does not even pretend to enjoy being in 'SNL' promos
- Hannibal Buress joins Dwayne Johnson in 'Baywatch'
- 'The X-Files': Mulder and Scully meet their doppelgängers in this exclusive clip
- Andrew Dice Clay talks 'Vinyl': 'Record company guys were out of their f---ing minds!'
- 'Dawson's Creek' revival not likely, says Katie Holmes