When a reporter (George Clooney) reconnects with a beautiful fräulein (Cate Blanchett) in postwar Berlin, murder, black-market intrigue, and bitter love triangles unapologetically evoke Casablanca in The Good German. Steven Soderbergh’s murky shadows and washed-out whites work better at home, flickering on the small screen like an old Late Late Movie, but his determined homage to 1940s Hollywood flirts with gimmickry. Only Blanchett feels authentically film noir, as her sly eyes transform the fair-skinned actress into an alluringly dark siren. EXTRAS None. B-
(Melinda Sue Gordon)
Genre: Drama, Romance; Starring: Cate Blanchett, George Clooney, Beau Bridges, Tobey Maguire; Director: Steven Soderbergh; Author: Paul Attanasio; Release Date Limited: 12/15/2006; Release Date Wide: 01/19/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 105; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted May 25 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Patton Oswalt shares touching words from daughter after wife’s death
- Aretha Franklin performs 'Purple Rain' on International Jazz Day
- 'Penny Dreadful' season 3 sneak peek teases 'a terrible end'
- 'Captain America: Civil War' opens to $200 million internationally
- WATCH: Taylor John Smith on his 'Cruel Intentions' reboot audition
- Mads Mikkelsen says he wants to return for more 'Hannibal'
- See Kerry Washington, Kendall Jenner, and more celebs at the WHCD
- See President Obama's Very First White House Correspondents Dinner
- 13 Times Real Pain Inspired Great Art
- Destiny's Child's Best Matching Outfits Through the Years
- 'The Simpsons': See the Voices Behind Your Favorite Characters
- All the Photos From Beyonce's 'Formation' Tour
- 40 Celebrities Who Threw Out The First Pitch