When a reporter (George Clooney) reconnects with a beautiful fräulein (Cate Blanchett) in postwar Berlin, murder, black-market intrigue, and bitter love triangles unapologetically evoke Casablanca in The Good German. Steven Soderbergh’s murky shadows and washed-out whites work better at home, flickering on the small screen like an old Late Late Movie, but his determined homage to 1940s Hollywood flirts with gimmickry. Only Blanchett feels authentically film noir, as her sly eyes transform the fair-skinned actress into an alluringly dark siren. EXTRAS None. B-
(Melinda Sue Gordon)
Genre: Drama, Romance; Starring: Cate Blanchett, George Clooney, Beau Bridges, Tobey Maguire; Director: Steven Soderbergh; Author: Paul Attanasio; Release Date Wide: 01/19/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 105; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted May 25 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Big Brother': Julie Chen answers our burning Qs
- See Nic Cage in his 'Superman Lives' costume
- Ava DuVernay decides not to direct 'Black Panther': 'We just didn't see eye to eye'
- LeBron James: Hollywood's newest MVP
- Know this week's pop culture news? Take EW's quiz to find out
- 10 celebrity memoirs to devour this summer
- Celebrate Independence Day with Steven Tyler's new country video
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- 26 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- Miranda Kerr, Ewan & Chiwetel, Karlie Kloss & More!