When a reporter (George Clooney) reconnects with a beautiful fräulein (Cate Blanchett) in postwar Berlin, murder, black-market intrigue, and bitter love triangles unapologetically evoke Casablanca in The Good German. Steven Soderbergh’s murky shadows and washed-out whites work better at home, flickering on the small screen like an old Late Late Movie, but his determined homage to 1940s Hollywood flirts with gimmickry. Only Blanchett feels authentically film noir, as her sly eyes transform the fair-skinned actress into an alluringly dark siren. EXTRAS None. B-
(Melinda Sue Gordon)
Genre: Drama, Romance; Starring: Cate Blanchett, George Clooney, Beau Bridges, Tobey Maguire; Director: Steven Soderbergh; Author: Paul Attanasio; Release Date Limited: 12/15/2006; Release Date Wide: 01/19/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 105; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted May 25 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Mindy Kaling, Emma Thompson eye late-night talk show film
- 'This Is Us': Mandy Moore says her favorite episode is still to come
- Dan Brown's 'Origin' gets fall 2017 release date
- Daniel Radcliffe assesses Donald Trump/Voldemort comparison
- Trayvon Martin's parents to release book about their son
- Jennifer Lopez will judge and mentor dancers on NBC's 'World of Dance'
- 10 magical GIFs from the new 'Fantastic Beasts' trailer