Amel Larrieux kicks off Standards promisingly with ”If I Were a Bell,” a kooky classic that brings out her playful side. Still, the chanteuse has been predisposed to melancholy ever since she began her career in the neo-soul precursors Groove Theory. This disc, sadly, stays that course. Larrieux handles ballads like Rodgers and Hammerstein’s ”Something Wonderful” with appropriate tenderness — but were she to tackle more upbeat numbers (say, a jaunty Cole Porter joint), this lovely set would gain some much-needed sass. DOWNLOAD THIS: I Like the Sunrise
Lovely Standards Amel Larrieux kicks off Standards promisingly with ''If I Were a Bell,'' a kooky classic that brings out her playful side. Still, the...Lovely StandardsR&B Amel Larrieux kicks off Standards promisingly with ''If I Were a Bell,'' a kooky classic that brings out her playful side. Still, the...2007-05-25
Genre: R&B; Lead Performer: Amel Larrieux
Posted May 25 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Fox News anchor Harris Faulkner sues Hasbro over same-named toy hamster
- Casting Net: Scott Eastwood set to become action star in 'Overdrive'
- 'Scream' honors Wes Craven during finale
- Ellen Page says her 'Freeheld' role inspired her to come out
- 'Brides of Dracula' series from 'Arrow' producer gets NBC pilot commitment
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: Travis Wall on why the judges 'floored' him this week
- Christina Applegate is a terrible Meryl Streep in Funny or Die's Lifetime spoof
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!