Amel Larrieux kicks off Standards promisingly with ”If I Were a Bell,” a kooky classic that brings out her playful side. Still, the chanteuse has been predisposed to melancholy ever since she began her career in the neo-soul precursors Groove Theory. This disc, sadly, stays that course. Larrieux handles ballads like Rodgers and Hammerstein’s ”Something Wonderful” with appropriate tenderness — but were she to tackle more upbeat numbers (say, a jaunty Cole Porter joint), this lovely set would gain some much-needed sass. DOWNLOAD THIS: I Like the Sunrise
Lovely Standards Amel Larrieux kicks off Standards promisingly with ''If I Were a Bell,'' a kooky classic that brings out her playful side. Still, the...Lovely StandardsR&B Amel Larrieux kicks off Standards promisingly with ''If I Were a Bell,'' a kooky classic that brings out her playful side. Still, the...2007-05-25
Genre: R&B; Lead Performer: Amel Larrieux
Posted January 17 2015 — 9:14 AM EST
- 'Better Call Saul' insider on THAT Jimmy-Chuck shocker
- Casting Net: Emily Blunt, John Krasinski join voice cast of 'Animal Crackers'
- Kevin Hart to receive Comedic Genius Award at MTV Movie Awards
- Weinstein Company acquires Matthew McConaughey-starring 'Gold'
- David Beckham stars in a new underwear ad... with James Corden?
- Colin Trevorrow to direct 'Book of Henry' following 'Jurassic World' release
- Michelle Obama to appear on 'The Tonight Show'
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Blake Shelton, Destiny's Child, Claire & Don and More!