Amel Larrieux kicks off Standards promisingly with ”If I Were a Bell,” a kooky classic that brings out her playful side. Still, the chanteuse has been predisposed to melancholy ever since she began her career in the neo-soul precursors Groove Theory. This disc, sadly, stays that course. Larrieux handles ballads like Rodgers and Hammerstein’s ”Something Wonderful” with appropriate tenderness — but were she to tackle more upbeat numbers (say, a jaunty Cole Porter joint), this lovely set would gain some much-needed sass. DOWNLOAD THIS: I Like the Sunrise
Lovely Standards Amel Larrieux kicks off Standards promisingly with ''If I Were a Bell,'' a kooky classic that brings out her playful side. Still, the...Lovely StandardsR&B Amel Larrieux kicks off Standards promisingly with ''If I Were a Bell,'' a kooky classic that brings out her playful side. Still, the...2007-05-25
Genre: R&B; Lead Performer: Amel Larrieux
Posted May 25 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Big Brother': Julie Chen answers our burning Qs
- See Nic Cage in his 'Superman Lives' costume
- Ava DuVernay decides not to direct 'Black Panther': 'We just didn't see eye to eye'
- LeBron James: Hollywood's newest MVP
- Know this week's pop culture news? Take EW's quiz to find out
- 10 celebrity memoirs to devour this summer
- Celebrate Independence Day with Steven Tyler's new country video
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- 26 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- Miranda Kerr, Ewan & Chiwetel, Karlie Kloss & More!