Say it ain’t so, Frodo! News that cuddly Elijah Wood will play sinewy punk god Iggy Pop in the indie biopic The Passenger has us feeling blah, blah, blah. The film — based on Pop’s early years in the music biz as frontman for the Stooges — is a coup for rock wonk Wood, who moonlights as CEO of fledgling record label Simian and has long expressed interest in playing Pop. (Iggy will have no official role in the film.) But the ’70s punk scene is a long way from Middle-earth. Even if the wee actor can physically transform himself into a scraggly-haired stage dynamo, mastering those powerful vocals may prove harder. And while Pop was prone to cutting himself and lewdly freaking his mic in public, clean-cut Wood isn’t exactly known for spectacular lapses in good judgment. Unless you count that time he agreed to star in the 1994 kid-flick stinker North.
Posted May 25 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'iZombie' season 2 trailer teases what (or who) is on the menu for Liv Moore
- Casting Net: Mad Men star Jessica Pare cast in Lovesick
- 'Can't Buy Me Love' star Amanda Peterson's cause of death was an overdose
- Sony reaches settlement in hacking lawsuits
- Stephen Colbert counters Jeb Bush's 'Late Show' raffle with his own contest
- On the set of 'American Horror Story: Hotel': A foursome with Lady Gaga and Matt Bomer
- Steven Spielberg’s DreamWorks could leave Disney next year
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- The A List Ladies, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anna & Jane and More!