She’s back! Producers Martha and Dino De Laurentiis have tapped Grindhouse codirector Robert Rodriguez to helm a ”reimagining” of Barbarella, the comic-book series that inspired Roger Vadim’s 1968 cult classic starring Jane Fonda as the intergalactic sex kitten. Seems Rodriguez was looking to make a splashy blockbuster when the De Laurentiises approached him about updating the character, who has become an icon in the 39 years since her big-screen debut. ”It’s not going to be campy, but definitely sensual and sexual,” says Martha, who anticipates an R rating and a summer 2008 release for the film, which already has a script. (Casino Royale scribes Neal Purvis and Robert Wade have written a draft based on Jean-Claude Forest’s comic, though there’s still no word on whether the infamous ”Excessive Machine” will appear.) While Martha is mum on casting updates, big names like Drew Barrymore, Kate Beckinsale, and Lindsay Lohan have all been floated in recent years. Of course, there’s always Rose McGowan…
Posted May 25 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Sports Illustrated' reveals how the NFL persuaded Michael Jackson to perform at the Super Bowl
- Rachael Taylor joins 'A.K.A. Jessica Jones'
- Study: Binge-watching TV might make you sad
- A.J. McLean previews 'raw' Backstreet Boys documentary
- NEEDTOBREATHE teams with Gavin DeGraw for 'Brother'
- Disney to intro its first Latina princess
- Box office preview: 'Project Almanac' joins 'American Sniper' in theaters