She’s back! Producers Martha and Dino De Laurentiis have tapped Grindhouse codirector Robert Rodriguez to helm a ”reimagining” of Barbarella, the comic-book series that inspired Roger Vadim’s 1968 cult classic starring Jane Fonda as the intergalactic sex kitten. Seems Rodriguez was looking to make a splashy blockbuster when the De Laurentiises approached him about updating the character, who has become an icon in the 39 years since her big-screen debut. ”It’s not going to be campy, but definitely sensual and sexual,” says Martha, who anticipates an R rating and a summer 2008 release for the film, which already has a script. (Casino Royale scribes Neal Purvis and Robert Wade have written a draft based on Jean-Claude Forest’s comic, though there’s still no word on whether the infamous ”Excessive Machine” will appear.) While Martha is mum on casting updates, big names like Drew Barrymore, Kate Beckinsale, and Lindsay Lohan have all been floated in recent years. Of course, there’s always Rose McGowan…
Posted May 25 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Mighty Morphin Power Rangers' comics are coming: EW exclusive reveal of Green Ranger cover
- Ben Affleck, Jennifer Garner to divorce
- Rob Thomas details new solo album 'The Great Unknown'
- See the first extended look at 'Rory McIlroy PGA Tour'
- Rick Moody to write memoir detailing his second marriage
- Kaitlyn on 'Bachelorette' talk with Shawn
- Nick Zano joins 'Minority Report'
- 27 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- 'X-Files' returns: David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson in new EW portraits
- Comic-Con 2005: How buzziest projects panned out
- 'Survivor' cast thanks YOU for Second Chances in new pics
- 'Ant-Man': 7 EW exclusive new character posters
- Ricky Martin, Tina & Jane, Paul Rudd and More!