She’s back! Producers Martha and Dino De Laurentiis have tapped Grindhouse codirector Robert Rodriguez to helm a ”reimagining” of Barbarella, the comic-book series that inspired Roger Vadim’s 1968 cult classic starring Jane Fonda as the intergalactic sex kitten. Seems Rodriguez was looking to make a splashy blockbuster when the De Laurentiises approached him about updating the character, who has become an icon in the 39 years since her big-screen debut. ”It’s not going to be campy, but definitely sensual and sexual,” says Martha, who anticipates an R rating and a summer 2008 release for the film, which already has a script. (Casino Royale scribes Neal Purvis and Robert Wade have written a draft based on Jean-Claude Forest’s comic, though there’s still no word on whether the infamous ”Excessive Machine” will appear.) While Martha is mum on casting updates, big names like Drew Barrymore, Kate Beckinsale, and Lindsay Lohan have all been floated in recent years. Of course, there’s always Rose McGowan…
Posted May 25 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- How the novel 'Star Wars: Aftermath' sets up 'The Force Awakens'
- The lawsuit over 'Mr. Holmes' has been settled, attorney says
- Kristen Bell’s gift to Dax Shepard makes us all miss 'Parenthood'
- Casting Net: Jason Momoa to star in lumberjack thriller Braven
- Brad Paisley gets ready for football season with 'Country Nation' video
- Selena Gomez is officially in 'Neighbors 2'
- Interracial family comedy in the works at NBC, from Parks and Recreation pair
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Heidi & Howie, Chris Evans, Kelly Rowland and More!