She’s back! Producers Martha and Dino De Laurentiis have tapped Grindhouse codirector Robert Rodriguez to helm a ”reimagining” of Barbarella, the comic-book series that inspired Roger Vadim’s 1968 cult classic starring Jane Fonda as the intergalactic sex kitten. Seems Rodriguez was looking to make a splashy blockbuster when the De Laurentiises approached him about updating the character, who has become an icon in the 39 years since her big-screen debut. ”It’s not going to be campy, but definitely sensual and sexual,” says Martha, who anticipates an R rating and a summer 2008 release for the film, which already has a script. (Casino Royale scribes Neal Purvis and Robert Wade have written a draft based on Jean-Claude Forest’s comic, though there’s still no word on whether the infamous ”Excessive Machine” will appear.) While Martha is mum on casting updates, big names like Drew Barrymore, Kate Beckinsale, and Lindsay Lohan have all been floated in recent years. Of course, there’s always Rose McGowan…
Posted January 17 2015 — 9:14 AM EST
- Master Chief meets his match in first 'Halo 5' trailers
- Watch Trevor Noah's 'Daily Show' segments
- ACM Awards add Little Big Town, Lady Antebellum, surprise duet with Christina Aguilera
- Louis. C.K. plays Mayor Bill de Blasio's anger translator at Inner Circle dinner
- John Oliver wants you to ignore April Fools' Day
- 'Game of Thrones' actress Maisie Williams going to 'Doctor Who'
- Exclusive: Flo Rida drops breezy, Robin Thicke-featuring "I Don't Like It, I Love It"
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Justin Theroux, Josh Gad, Kristen Stewart & More!