She’s back! Producers Martha and Dino De Laurentiis have tapped Grindhouse codirector Robert Rodriguez to helm a ”reimagining” of Barbarella, the comic-book series that inspired Roger Vadim’s 1968 cult classic starring Jane Fonda as the intergalactic sex kitten. Seems Rodriguez was looking to make a splashy blockbuster when the De Laurentiises approached him about updating the character, who has become an icon in the 39 years since her big-screen debut. ”It’s not going to be campy, but definitely sensual and sexual,” says Martha, who anticipates an R rating and a summer 2008 release for the film, which already has a script. (Casino Royale scribes Neal Purvis and Robert Wade have written a draft based on Jean-Claude Forest’s comic, though there’s still no word on whether the infamous ”Excessive Machine” will appear.) While Martha is mum on casting updates, big names like Drew Barrymore, Kate Beckinsale, and Lindsay Lohan have all been floated in recent years. Of course, there’s always Rose McGowan…
Posted May 25 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- New 'American Horror Story' season 6 teasers will make your skin crawl
- DNC: Chelsea Clinton references 'A Wrinkle in Time,' 'Police Academy'
- Hillary Clinton quotes 'Hamilton,' slams Trump in rousing DNC speech
- Twitter reacts to Morgan Freeman-narrated Hillary Clinton doc
- 'The Voice': Bette Midler serving as mentor for Team Blake
- Shonda Rhimes on Hillary Clinton DNC film: 'I didn't have to add a plot twist!'
- Katy Perry performs 'Rise,' 'Roar' at DNC for Hillary Clinton