Middle school is hell — even in France. When a teacher is found dead outside his classroom window in an apparent suicide, 32-year-old Pierre Hoffman is tapped to fill in. Pierre soon learns of two other mysterious deaths linked to this class of oddly well-behaved 13-year-olds who speak like ”trainee semiotician[s].” Christophe Dufossé effectively builds a sense of menace in School’s Out, particularly in the run-up to a class bus trip to Normandy. Although Pierre’s narration can be off-puttingly aloof (perhaps Shaun Whiteside’s rather stilted translation is to blame), School’s Out is the literary version of a citron pressé mouth-puckeringly tart and refreshing. B+
School's Out Middle school is hell — even in France. When a teacher is found dead outside his classroom window in an apparent suicide, 32-year-old Pierre ...School's OutFictionChristophe Dufosse Middle school is hell — even in France. When a teacher is found dead outside his classroom window in an apparent suicide, 32-year-old Pierre ...2007-05-25Penguin
Genre: Fiction; Author: Christophe Dufosse; Publisher: Penguin
Posted May 25 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Jeff Probst on the players he is surprised did not get voted into 'Survivor'
- Justin Timberlake and Jonathan Demme are making a 'space age music film'
- Everything you need to know about the 2015 MTV VMAs
- President Obama and Vice head to prison in 'Fixing the System' trailer
- Chris Messina in talks to play Ben Affleck's best friend in 'Live By Night'
- 'Minions' clears $1 billion at the worldwide box office
- Justin Bieber to spend several mornings with you on the 'Today' show
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Darius Rucker, Paris Hilton, Nick & Pharrell and More!