Middle school is hell — even in France. When a teacher is found dead outside his classroom window in an apparent suicide, 32-year-old Pierre Hoffman is tapped to fill in. Pierre soon learns of two other mysterious deaths linked to this class of oddly well-behaved 13-year-olds who speak like ”trainee semiotician[s].” Christophe Dufossé effectively builds a sense of menace in School’s Out, particularly in the run-up to a class bus trip to Normandy. Although Pierre’s narration can be off-puttingly aloof (perhaps Shaun Whiteside’s rather stilted translation is to blame), School’s Out is the literary version of a citron pressé mouth-puckeringly tart and refreshing. B+
School's Out Middle school is hell — even in France. When a teacher is found dead outside his classroom window in an apparent suicide, 32-year-old Pierre ...School's OutFictionChristophe Dufosse Middle school is hell — even in France. When a teacher is found dead outside his classroom window in an apparent suicide, 32-year-old Pierre ...2007-05-25Penguin
Genre: Fiction; Author: Christophe Dufosse; Publisher: Penguin
Posted May 25 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See EWwy campaign posters for the best comedic actor nominees
- Jason Bateman is suspicious of Joel Edgerton in exclusive clip of 'The Gift'
- 'X-Men' alum Famke Janssen joins 'How to Get Away with Murder'
- Bottoms up! Here's your 'Bachelor in Paradise' drinking game
- New Dirk Gently TV show in the works from Chronicle writer
- See Joseph Gordon-Levitt try Snapchat for the first time
- Director talks about Dr. Dre on the set of 'Straight Outta Compton'
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Amy Poehler, Justin Theroux, Rihanna & More!