Jon Krakauer’s 1995 article on Mark Foo in Outside was the Into Thin Air of surf stories: Foo, a famed big-wave surfer, was killed in late 1994 while taking his first runs on the Maverick’s break off Northern California’s coast. In Stealing the Wave, Andy Martin elevates that tragedy to near mythological proportions, chronicling how Foo’s rivalry with fellow boarder Ken Bradshaw pushed him to that fatal brink. In lush, dramatic terms, he recounts what feels like every wave ridden during the duo’s two decades of competition on Hawaii’s intense North Shore. It’s a bit of overkill, certainly, but surf enthusiasts and wannabes alike will probably get sucked in. B+
Stealing the WaveJon Krakauer's 1995 article on Mark Foo in Outside was the Into Thin Air of surf stories: Foo, a famed big-wave surfer, was killed in...Stealing the WaveSports, NonfictionSandy MartinJon Krakauer's 1995 article on Mark Foo in Outside was the Into Thin Air of surf stories: Foo, a famed big-wave surfer, was killed in...2007-05-25Bloomsbury
Genre: Sports, Nonfiction; Author: Sandy Martin; Publisher: Bloomsbury
Posted May 25 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Kate Hudson gets patriotic, belts out the national anthem on Instagram
- 'Dukes of Hazzard' costar: TV Land wrong
- Keke Palmer: 'Scream Queens' will be just 'as brutal' as 'American Horror Story'
- Empire State Building jams out to Grateful Dead with synchronized July 4 light show
- Dave Grohl's game of throne in D.C.
- Kit Harington: Buzz about his long hair
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Rumer & Khloé, Usher, Cara Delevingne & More!