Jon Krakauer’s 1995 article on Mark Foo in Outside was the Into Thin Air of surf stories: Foo, a famed big-wave surfer, was killed in late 1994 while taking his first runs on the Maverick’s break off Northern California’s coast. In Stealing the Wave, Andy Martin elevates that tragedy to near mythological proportions, chronicling how Foo’s rivalry with fellow boarder Ken Bradshaw pushed him to that fatal brink. In lush, dramatic terms, he recounts what feels like every wave ridden during the duo’s two decades of competition on Hawaii’s intense North Shore. It’s a bit of overkill, certainly, but surf enthusiasts and wannabes alike will probably get sucked in. B+
Stealing the WaveJon Krakauer's 1995 article on Mark Foo in Outside was the Into Thin Air of surf stories: Foo, a famed big-wave surfer, was killed in...Stealing the WaveSports, NonfictionSandy MartinJon Krakauer's 1995 article on Mark Foo in Outside was the Into Thin Air of surf stories: Foo, a famed big-wave surfer, was killed in...2007-05-25Bloomsbury
Genre: Sports, Nonfiction; Author: Sandy Martin; Publisher: Bloomsbury
Posted May 25 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Jared Padalecki posted his first-ever #TBT: 13 more 'Supernatural' throwbacks
- Betty White is furious about the killing of Cecil the lion
- Fox cancels Ryan Seacrest's 'Knock Knock Live' after 2 episodes
- Despite polarizing season 2, HBO still interested in more 'True Detective'
- Box office preview: 'Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation,' 'Vacation'
- HBO says Game of Thrones will be at least eight seasons
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Jennifer Lopez, Brad Pitt, Candace & Lori and More!