In the story ”Outsiders,” a boorish Alabaman – cum – New York hipster tells people, ”Oh, I will call you on your s – -! It’s what I do!” In Your Body Is Changing, this riotous collection — recalling David Sedaris’ fictive Barrel Fever entries — Jack Pendarvis precisely captures such identifiably irritating personae. Slick admen brag about their ”radical” promotion for a gum that gives you the runs, while a slacker drug mule rationalizes smoking the hash block he was hired to deliver. Pendarvis’ wit sometimes veers too far into the absurd, but he often surprises a giggling reader by nailing the emptiness of his characters’ self-absorption. B+
Your Body Is Changing In the story ''Outsiders,'' a boorish Alabaman -- cum -- New York hipster tells people, ''Oh, I will call you on your s -- -! It's what I do!'' In ...Your Body Is ChangingShort Stories, FictionJack Pendarvis In the story ''Outsiders,'' a boorish Alabaman -- cum -- New York hipster tells people, ''Oh, I will call you on your s -- -! It's what I do!'' In ...2007-05-25MacAdam/Cage
Genre: Short Stories, Fiction; Author: Jack Pendarvis; Publisher: MacAdam/Cage
Posted January 17 2015 — 9:14 AM EST
- 'Outlander' boss Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- Tatiana Maslany on 'Orphan Black' return, and 'totally changing up what people were going to expect'
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!