In the story ”Outsiders,” a boorish Alabaman – cum – New York hipster tells people, ”Oh, I will call you on your s – -! It’s what I do!” In Your Body Is Changing, this riotous collection — recalling David Sedaris’ fictive Barrel Fever entries — Jack Pendarvis precisely captures such identifiably irritating personae. Slick admen brag about their ”radical” promotion for a gum that gives you the runs, while a slacker drug mule rationalizes smoking the hash block he was hired to deliver. Pendarvis’ wit sometimes veers too far into the absurd, but he often surprises a giggling reader by nailing the emptiness of his characters’ self-absorption. B+
Your Body Is Changing In the story ''Outsiders,'' a boorish Alabaman -- cum -- New York hipster tells people, ''Oh, I will call you on your s -- -! It's what I do!'' In ...Your Body Is ChangingShort Stories, FictionJack Pendarvis In the story ''Outsiders,'' a boorish Alabaman -- cum -- New York hipster tells people, ''Oh, I will call you on your s -- -! It's what I do!'' In ...2007-05-25MacAdam/Cage
Genre: Short Stories, Fiction; Author: Jack Pendarvis; Publisher: MacAdam/Cage
Posted May 25 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Pokémon Go' gets the Honest Trailer treatment
- Radiohead played 'Let Down' for first time in a decade
- James Corden's parents cover WWE Monday Night Raw
- Shonda Rhimes on 'Scandal': 'I never said this was the final season'
- Morrissey reveals world tour dates
- Billy Ray Cyrus comedy 'Still the King' renewed by CMT
- Cartoon Hillary Clinton pokes fun of DNC drama with Stephen Colbert
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?
- 'Little Miss Sunshine': Where Are They Now?
- 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child': 22 Magical Photos
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 4 Panels
- 'Friends': See the Cast's Evolution Over 10 Years