In the story ”Outsiders,” a boorish Alabaman – cum – New York hipster tells people, ”Oh, I will call you on your s – -! It’s what I do!” In Your Body Is Changing, this riotous collection — recalling David Sedaris’ fictive Barrel Fever entries — Jack Pendarvis precisely captures such identifiably irritating personae. Slick admen brag about their ”radical” promotion for a gum that gives you the runs, while a slacker drug mule rationalizes smoking the hash block he was hired to deliver. Pendarvis’ wit sometimes veers too far into the absurd, but he often surprises a giggling reader by nailing the emptiness of his characters’ self-absorption. B+
Your Body Is Changing In the story ''Outsiders,'' a boorish Alabaman -- cum -- New York hipster tells people, ''Oh, I will call you on your s -- -! It's what I do!'' In ...Your Body Is ChangingShort Stories, FictionJack Pendarvis In the story ''Outsiders,'' a boorish Alabaman -- cum -- New York hipster tells people, ''Oh, I will call you on your s -- -! It's what I do!'' In ...2007-05-25MacAdam/Cage
Genre: Short Stories, Fiction; Author: Jack Pendarvis; Status: In Season; Publisher: MacAdam/Cage
Posted May 25 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- George Takei: Nimoy 'the most human person I've ever met'
- Zachary Quinto on Leonard Nimoy: 'a father figure to me'
- Kevin Hart, Will Ferrell in 'Get Hard': Red-band trailer really, REALLY NSFW
- Natalie Dormer stars in Hozier's 'Someone New' video
- Vincent D'Onofrio as 'Daredevil' nemesis Wilson Fisk: First Look
- Pharrell talks 'The Voice,' Lionel Richie as adviser
- 'Spider-Man': Drew Goddard as director?