In the story ”Outsiders,” a boorish Alabaman – cum – New York hipster tells people, ”Oh, I will call you on your s – -! It’s what I do!” In Your Body Is Changing, this riotous collection — recalling David Sedaris’ fictive Barrel Fever entries — Jack Pendarvis precisely captures such identifiably irritating personae. Slick admen brag about their ”radical” promotion for a gum that gives you the runs, while a slacker drug mule rationalizes smoking the hash block he was hired to deliver. Pendarvis’ wit sometimes veers too far into the absurd, but he often surprises a giggling reader by nailing the emptiness of his characters’ self-absorption. B+
Your Body Is Changing In the story ''Outsiders,'' a boorish Alabaman -- cum -- New York hipster tells people, ''Oh, I will call you on your s -- -! It's what I do!'' In ...Your Body Is ChangingShort Stories, FictionJack Pendarvis In the story ''Outsiders,'' a boorish Alabaman -- cum -- New York hipster tells people, ''Oh, I will call you on your s -- -! It's what I do!'' In ...2007-05-25MacAdam/Cage
Genre: Short Stories, Fiction; Author: Jack Pendarvis; Publisher: MacAdam/Cage
Posted May 25 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Beyoncé used New Orleans documentary footage 'with permission' in new 'Formation' video: rep
- Larry David hosts 'SNL': Talk about it here
- Listen to Chrisette Michele's a cappella cover of Adele's 'Hello'
- 'Zoolander 2' tries to recreate the magic of Magnum in new clip
- Tony Goldwyn teases Fitz's state of mind in 'Scandal' return
- Lady Gaga says Super Bowl performance is one of the highest honors
- Beyonce surprises with powerful new single, 'Formation'