In 1978, a high school girl playing competitive soccer wasn’t just novel — it was barely heard of. This amiable rouser, based on the experiences of Elisabeth Shue and her family (Shue was one of the producers), tries to convey how gutsy and role-smashing it is for Heather Graham-cute Gracie (Carly Schroeder) to cleat her way onto an all-boys soccer team. So why is Gracie as processed as an after-school special? You miss the knockabout edge of Bend It Like Beckham — though the ending, in its Pavlovian sports-flick way, pumps you up. C
Genre: Drama; Starring: Carly Schroeder, Andrew Shue, Elisabeth Shue; Director: Davis Guggenheim; Author: Karen Janszen, Lisa Marie Petersen; Release Date Wide: 06/01/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 90; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Picturehouse
Posted May 30 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 1D's Liam Payne announces third single from 'Made in the A.M.'
- New 'Luther' trailer asks: 'You scared of me?'
- Drake: 'I'd do anything with Adele' — including a 'Hotline Bling' remix
- National Dog Show names Charlie the Skye terrier its Best in Show
- CBS will air two Super Bowl commercial specials before 'Super Bowl 50'
- Amy Schumer, Mindy Kaling, and more celebs give thanks on social media
- Highlights from the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade