In 1978, a high school girl playing competitive soccer wasn’t just novel — it was barely heard of. This amiable rouser, based on the experiences of Elisabeth Shue and her family (Shue was one of the producers), tries to convey how gutsy and role-smashing it is for Heather Graham-cute Gracie (Carly Schroeder) to cleat her way onto an all-boys soccer team. So why is Gracie as processed as an after-school special? You miss the knockabout edge of Bend It Like Beckham — though the ending, in its Pavlovian sports-flick way, pumps you up. C
Genre: Drama; Starring: Carly Schroeder, Andrew Shue, Elisabeth Shue; Director: Davis Guggenheim; Author: Karen Janszen, Lisa Marie Petersen; Release Date Wide: 06/01/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 90; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Picturehouse
Posted May 30 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman gets a tribute at the Indy 500--but it ends in a crash
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- 'Tomorrowland' leads slow Memorial Day weekend at box office
- Jennifer Aniston's '90s throwback photo is picture perfect
- Straight No Chaser step into Jim Nabors' shoes, sing to kick off the Indy 500
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!