In 1978, a high school girl playing competitive soccer wasn’t just novel — it was barely heard of. This amiable rouser, based on the experiences of Elisabeth Shue and her family (Shue was one of the producers), tries to convey how gutsy and role-smashing it is for Heather Graham-cute Gracie (Carly Schroeder) to cleat her way onto an all-boys soccer team. So why is Gracie as processed as an after-school special? You miss the knockabout edge of Bend It Like Beckham — though the ending, in its Pavlovian sports-flick way, pumps you up. C
Genre: Drama; Starring: Carly Schroeder, Andrew Shue, Elisabeth Shue; Director: Davis Guggenheim; Author: Karen Janszen, Lisa Marie Petersen; Release Date Wide: 06/01/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 90; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Picturehouse
Posted May 30 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Ed Sheeran breaks out his British red coat for Taylor Swift’s Fourth of July party
- Billy Joel's surprise July 4 wedding
- Penn & Teller reveal the craziest tricks from their upcoming Broadway show
- Kelly Rowland at Essence Fest previews BET series to find next great girl group
- The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest crowned a new champion on July 4
- Michael Douglas' mother dies at 92
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!