It would be easy to think of this novel — in which a flock of Irish sheep investigate the murder of their shepherd — as a silly attempt to inject some life into the crime genre. Despite the whimsical conceit and tone (“Sheep are not talkative folk. That’s because their mouths are often full of grass”), Leonie Swann produces a clever spin on the ol’ whodunit. She stocks Three Bags Full tale with a ewe detective named Miss Maple and a former circus denizen called Othello, each offering hay-filled interpretations of the human world (Jesus on the cross seems to be “the helpless victim of a knife-throwing act”). The result: a delightfully offbeat yarn. A-
Three Bags FullIt would be easy to think of this novel — in which a flock of Irish sheep investigate the murder of their shepherd — as a silly attempt to...Three Bags FullFiction, Mystery and ThrillerLeonie SwannIt would be easy to think of this novel — in which a flock of Irish sheep investigate the murder of their shepherd — as a silly attempt to...2007-06-01Flying Dolphin Press
Genre: Fiction, Mystery and Thriller; Author: Leonie Swann; Publisher: Flying Dolphin Press
Posted June 1 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Mark Hamill to return as The Joker for 'The Killing Joke'
- Hugh Jackman shares final ‘Wolverine’ teaser image
- Casting Net: Morgan Freeman leads up action film 'Down to a Sunless Sea'
- 'The Bachelorette': And the 'winner' is...
- Richard Linklater in talks to direct Jennifer Lawrence in 'The Rosie Project'
- 'All the Bright Places' starring Elle Fanning finds its director
- HBO developing new Wild West drama series 'Untamed'
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Matthew & Keri, Katy Perry, Cate Blanchett & More!