In The Blood of Flowers, Anita Amirrezvani’s modern-seeming coming-of-age story set in 17th-century Iran, the nameless 14-year-old narrator aims to use her carpet-making skills to snag herself a husband. Then her father dies, leaving her without a dowry, and she and her mother must move to the city of Isfahan and into the service of a wealthy uncle — who happens to be rug maker to the Shah. In Isfahan, the narrator cultivates her weaving ability and learns there’s more to life than marrying well. Though the flowery prose can be distracting, Amirrezvani skillfully threads culture, romance, and art into an elegant tale of self-realization and empowerment. B+
The Blood of Flowers In The Blood of Flowers, Anita Amirrezvani's modern-seeming coming-of-age story set in 17th-century Iran, the nameless 14-year-old...The Blood of FlowersFictionAnita Amirrezvani In The Blood of Flowers, Anita Amirrezvani's modern-seeming coming-of-age story set in 17th-century Iran, the nameless 14-year-old...2007-06-08Little Brown & Company
Genre: Fiction; Author: Anita Amirrezvani; Publisher: Little Brown & Company
Posted June 8 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Obama to honor Stephen King, Sally Field with National Medals of Arts
- Queen Elizabeth is a huge fan of 'Downton Abbey'
- You can binge all of TNT's new show 'Public Morals' — only on Labor Day weekend
- New 'Batman v Superman' pics show Wonder Woman, the Batmobile
- 'Star Wars: Aftermath': Finding Han Solo for a quick galactic run
- Kanye West sends Taylor Swift flowers after the 2015 VMAs
- Aretha Franklin blocks Telluride screening of 'Amazing Grace'
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Union, Karlie Kloss & More!