Four Seasons in Rome, a memoir of novelist Anthony Doerr’s year abroad with his stalwart wife and newborn twin sons, is a hymn not only to the Eternal City but also to life itself. Doerr (The Shell Collector) celebrates the quotidian wonder of starlings swooping above the Seven Hills at dusk, marvels at the genius of ancient naturalist Pliny the Elder, and recounts — often hilariously — the complications of encountering a new culture while chronically sleep-deprived. ”A good journal entry ought [to] be a love letter to the world,” Doerr writes. Rome is exactly that, a passionate reflection about learning to see that celebrates both the foreign and familiar.
Four Seasons in Rome Four Seasons in Rome, a memoir of novelist Anthony Doerr's year abroad with his stalwart wife and newborn twin sons, is a hymn not...Four Seasons in RomeTravel, MemoirAnthony Doerr Four Seasons in Rome, a memoir of novelist Anthony Doerr's year abroad with his stalwart wife and newborn twin sons, is a hymn not...2007-06-08Scribner
Genre: Travel, Memoir; Author: Anthony Doerr; Publisher: Scribner
Posted June 8 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Get your first look at 'The Flash'-'Supergirl’ crossover
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Ryan Reynolds wants 9 daughters
- 'Scandal' star Bellamy Young talks Mellie's presidential chances
- Milo Ventimiglia to reprise his role as Jess in the 'Gilmore Girls' revival
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Ryan Reynolds reacts to 'Deadpool' costars' viral moment
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Ryan Reynolds on the man who made his 'penis look perfect'
- Adele's 'Carpool Karaoke' clip smashes YouTube records
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs
- See '90s Stars at the 1996 'Broken Arrow' Premiere
- 35 Tom Hiddleston Photos For His 35th Birthday