Four Seasons in Rome, a memoir of novelist Anthony Doerr’s year abroad with his stalwart wife and newborn twin sons, is a hymn not only to the Eternal City but also to life itself. Doerr (The Shell Collector) celebrates the quotidian wonder of starlings swooping above the Seven Hills at dusk, marvels at the genius of ancient naturalist Pliny the Elder, and recounts — often hilariously — the complications of encountering a new culture while chronically sleep-deprived. ”A good journal entry ought [to] be a love letter to the world,” Doerr writes. Rome is exactly that, a passionate reflection about learning to see that celebrates both the foreign and familiar.
Four Seasons in Rome Four Seasons in Rome, a memoir of novelist Anthony Doerr's year abroad with his stalwart wife and newborn twin sons, is a hymn not...Four Seasons in RomeTravel, MemoirAnthony Doerr Four Seasons in Rome, a memoir of novelist Anthony Doerr's year abroad with his stalwart wife and newborn twin sons, is a hymn not...2007-06-08Scribner
Genre: Travel, Memoir; Author: Anthony Doerr; Publisher: Scribner
Posted June 8 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Lip Sync Battle' bringing back celebrity champs for first live special
- Explicit photos of Leslie Jones leaked after website hack
- Ryan Lochte in talks to join 'Dancing with the Stars'
- 'Dirk Gently' teaser promises corpses, cops, and a killer
- New York Film Festival: Carrie Fisher film joins documentary lineup
- 'The Royals' gets season 3 premiere date, shirtless Prince Liam pics
- Starz renews 'Survivor's Remorse' for season 4
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...