Four Seasons in Rome, a memoir of novelist Anthony Doerr’s year abroad with his stalwart wife and newborn twin sons, is a hymn not only to the Eternal City but also to life itself. Doerr (The Shell Collector) celebrates the quotidian wonder of starlings swooping above the Seven Hills at dusk, marvels at the genius of ancient naturalist Pliny the Elder, and recounts — often hilariously — the complications of encountering a new culture while chronically sleep-deprived. ”A good journal entry ought [to] be a love letter to the world,” Doerr writes. Rome is exactly that, a passionate reflection about learning to see that celebrates both the foreign and familiar.
Four Seasons in Rome Four Seasons in Rome, a memoir of novelist Anthony Doerr's year abroad with his stalwart wife and newborn twin sons, is a hymn not...Four Seasons in RomeTravel, MemoirAnthony Doerr Four Seasons in Rome, a memoir of novelist Anthony Doerr's year abroad with his stalwart wife and newborn twin sons, is a hymn not...2007-06-08Scribner
Genre: Travel, Memoir; Author: Anthony Doerr; Publisher: Scribner
Posted June 8 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- 'Game of Thrones' showrunner on why those two paths crossed now: 'this just felt right'
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman tribute on Indy 500 car
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!