Long before Princess Diana, another member of the Spencer clan lived a whirlwind life of high fashion, marital indiscretion, and harsh media attention, so tells Janet Gleeson in Privilege and Scandal. Whether hobnobbing with her pal, the Prince of Wales, sparring with Lord Byron, or watching from the Palais du Louvre as Napoleon rallied his troops, aristocrat Harriet Spencer had a first-hand view of the turmoil gripping late-18th-century Europe. Likewise, tragedy marked her life: a beloved sister’s death, her first husband’s huge gambling debts, and a mysterious illness that left her wheelchair-bound. At its heady best, Gleeson’s page-turner reads like a frothy romance. A-
Privilege and Scandal Long before Princess Diana, another member of the Spencer clan lived a whirlwind life of high fashion, marital indiscretion, and harsh media attention...Privilege and ScandalNonfiction, HistoryJanet Gleeson Long before Princess Diana, another member of the Spencer clan lived a whirlwind life of high fashion, marital indiscretion, and harsh media attention...2007-06-08Crown
Genre: Nonfiction, History; Author: Janet Gleeson; Publisher: Crown
Posted June 8 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Marvel's 'Guardians of the Galaxy' get 'Hooked on a Feeling' in new promo
- 'The Walking Dead' star Andrew Lincoln on an 'astonishing' season 6
- That time Jon Stewart saved Bill Clinton from an awkward encounter
- Eddie Redmayne stuns in new posters for 'The Danish Girl'
- Walt Disney experts dismiss allegations he was anti-Semitic
- See the latest trailer for 'The Intern'
- John Oliver uses song to explain why Washington, D.C., should become a state
- Stars We Lost in 2015
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Sam Smith, Channing Tatum, Gwyneth Paltrow and More!