Long before Princess Diana, another member of the Spencer clan lived a whirlwind life of high fashion, marital indiscretion, and harsh media attention, so tells Janet Gleeson in Privilege and Scandal. Whether hobnobbing with her pal, the Prince of Wales, sparring with Lord Byron, or watching from the Palais du Louvre as Napoleon rallied his troops, aristocrat Harriet Spencer had a first-hand view of the turmoil gripping late-18th-century Europe. Likewise, tragedy marked her life: a beloved sister’s death, her first husband’s huge gambling debts, and a mysterious illness that left her wheelchair-bound. At its heady best, Gleeson’s page-turner reads like a frothy romance. A-
Privilege and Scandal Long before Princess Diana, another member of the Spencer clan lived a whirlwind life of high fashion, marital indiscretion, and harsh media attention...Privilege and ScandalNonfiction, HistoryJanet Gleeson Long before Princess Diana, another member of the Spencer clan lived a whirlwind life of high fashion, marital indiscretion, and harsh media attention...2007-06-08Crown
Genre: Nonfiction, History; Author: Janet Gleeson; Publisher: Crown
Posted June 8 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- President Obama and Vice head to prison in 'Fixing the System' trailer
- Chris Messina in talks to play Ben Affleck's best friend in 'Live By Night'
- 'Minions' clears $1 billion at the worldwide box office
- Justin Bieber to spend several mornings with you on the 'Today' show
- 'Doubt': 'Good Wife' actor to star opposite Katherine Heigl
- The first trans director of 'Transparent' on his experiences with the show
- Miley Cyrus reveals what a rainbow tastes like during Tumblr Q&A
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Darius Rucker, Paris Hilton, Nick & Pharrell and More!