Gloomy Finnish jokester auteur Aki Kaurismäki calls Lights in the Dusk, a characteristically deadpan study, the third in his ”loser trilogy.” (The Man Without a Past and Drifting Clouds came before.) Here, in a minimalist sketch best suited to already committed Aki-ites, a lonely night watchman (Janne Hyytiäinen) is used by a callous femme semi-fatale (Maria Järvenhelmi) in cahoots with a criminal businessman. Then his life is ruined. But wait — there’s great music, an excellent dog, and that indescribable Kaurismäki tension between misery and a cosmic joke. B
Genre: Foreign Language, Drama; Starring: Janne Hyytiainen, Maria Jarvenhelmi; Director: Aki Kaurismaki; Author: Aki Kaurismaki; Release Date Limited: 06/13/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 80; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Strand Releasing
Posted June 13 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Scream' postmortem: The killer speaks out!
- 'Scream' postmortem: The killer revealed! What's next?
- Fox News anchor Harris Faulkner sues Hasbro over same-named toy hamster
- Casting Net: Scott Eastwood set to become action star in 'Overdrive'
- 'Scream' honors Wes Craven during finale
- Ellen Page says her 'Freeheld' role inspired her to come out
- 'Brides of Dracula' series from 'Arrow' producer gets NBC pilot commitment
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!