Gloomy Finnish jokester auteur Aki Kaurismäki calls Lights in the Dusk, a characteristically deadpan study, the third in his ”loser trilogy.” (The Man Without a Past and Drifting Clouds came before.) Here, in a minimalist sketch best suited to already committed Aki-ites, a lonely night watchman (Janne Hyytiäinen) is used by a callous femme semi-fatale (Maria Järvenhelmi) in cahoots with a criminal businessman. Then his life is ruined. But wait — there’s great music, an excellent dog, and that indescribable Kaurismäki tension between misery and a cosmic joke. B
Genre: Foreign Language, Drama; Starring: Janne Hyytiainen, Maria Jarvenhelmi; Director: Aki Kaurismaki; Author: Aki Kaurismaki; Release Date Limited: 06/13/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 80; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Strand Releasing
Posted June 13 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Empire': Lawsuit claims kids were mistreated during filming at youth detention center
- Classic album covers get the 'Star Wars' treatment
- 'Mr. Robot': Carly Chaikin on the big Darlene shocker
- Prince's Paisley Park estate will open for public tours in October
- 'Another Period': Natasha Leggero, Riki Lindhome on season finale
- Katie Ledecky throws out first pitch as Bryce Harper holds her medals
- 'Serial': Adnan Syed alibi witness shoots down attempts to discredit her
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...