Gloomy Finnish jokester auteur Aki Kaurismäki calls Lights in the Dusk, a characteristically deadpan study, the third in his ”loser trilogy.” (The Man Without a Past and Drifting Clouds came before.) Here, in a minimalist sketch best suited to already committed Aki-ites, a lonely night watchman (Janne Hyytiäinen) is used by a callous femme semi-fatale (Maria Järvenhelmi) in cahoots with a criminal businessman. Then his life is ruined. But wait — there’s great music, an excellent dog, and that indescribable Kaurismäki tension between misery and a cosmic joke. B
Genre: Foreign Language, Drama; Starring: Janne Hyytiainen, Maria Jarvenhelmi; Director: Aki Kaurismaki; Author: Aki Kaurismaki; Release Date Limited: 06/13/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 80; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Strand Releasing
Posted June 13 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- J.K. Rowling feared second 'Harry Potter' couldn't live up to the first
- 'Agent Carter' takes on Tinseltown in season 2 teaser
- Idris Elba 'nearly died' filming 'Beasts of No Nation'
- Zach Galligan wants to return for 'Gremlins 3'
- Hear Erykah Badu and Andre 3000 team up for 'Hello'
- 'Gods of Egypt' director: 'Our casting choices should have been more diverse'
- Patti LaBelle spends Thanksgiving with pie fan James Wright