In this wry travelogue, Lincoln obsessive Andrew Ferguson explores his fascination with America’s 16th president. The Weekly Standard senior editor zips around the U.S., visiting museums and historical societies, interviewing Abe-philes and -phobes alike. A Lincoln impersonator offers him a faux mole off his face, while a Beverly Hills widow shows off her prized collection of Lincoln-ana, including a chamber pot and mourning ribbons. While Land of Lincoln is surprisingly light on actual historiography, Ferguson scores with his quips: He even tweaks Dale Carnegie for invoking Lincoln as a kind of imaginary self-help guru: ”WW$5D?” B+
Land of Lincoln In this wry travelogue, Lincoln obsessive Andrew Ferguson explores his fascination with America's 16th president. The Weekly Standard senior ...Land of LincolnHistory, Nonfiction In this wry travelogue, Lincoln obsessive Andrew Ferguson explores his fascination with America's 16th president. The Weekly Standard senior ...2007-06-15Atlantic Monthly Press
Genre: History, Nonfiction; Publisher: Atlantic Monthly Press
Posted June 15 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See Nic Cage in his 'Superman Lives' costume
- Ava DuVernay decides not to direct 'Black Panther': 'We just didn't see eye to eye'
- LeBron James: Hollywood's newest MVP
- Know this week's pop culture news? Take EW's quiz to find out
- 10 celebrity memoirs to devour this summer
- Celebrate Independence Day with Steven Tyler's new country video
- 'Bible' series won't return to NBC
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- 26 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- Miranda Kerr, Ewan & Chiwetel, Karlie Kloss & More!