Director Chris Marker emerged around the time of the New Wave but, unlike Truffaut or Godard, never became a household name. His reputation among cineastes rests with his famous 1962 sci-fi short La Jetée and a series of documentaries, including 1983’s Sans Soleil. The 28-minute La Jetée is composed almost entirely of black-and-white stills, voice-over, and spacey music. Yet its haunting portrayal of a WWIII-annihilated Paris — and a time-traveling survivor who falls for a woman in the past — has been stealthily influential, inspiring David Bowie’s ”Jump They Say” video and Terry Gilliam’s 12 Monkeys. The longer, meandering Sans Soleil will either enthrall you or put you to sleep. Combining his own footage with that of other filmmakers, Marker muses on Japanese culture, African politics, Pac-Man, and Hitchcock’s Vertigo, intertwining the sumptuous (women in kimonos) with the unsettling (a giraffe shot dead and ripped into by vultures). As befits such a mysterious director, the extras in Criterion’s set are spare (interviews, docs). No matter, the movies are exhilarating enough.
La Jetee/Sans Soleil (Criterion Collection) Director Chris Marker emerged around the time of the New Wave but, unlike Truffaut or Godard, never became a household name. His reputation among...La Jetee/Sans Soleil (Criterion Collection)Unrated Director Chris Marker emerged around the time of the New Wave but, unlike Truffaut or Godard, never became a household name. His reputation among...2007-06-22Criterion Collection
Director: Chris Marker; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Criterion Collection
Posted June 22 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- 'Game of Thrones' showrunner on why those two paths crossed now: 'this just felt right'
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman gets a tribute at the Indy 500--but it ends in a crash
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- 'Tomorrowland' leads slow Memorial Day weekend at box office
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!