Director Chris Marker emerged around the time of the New Wave but, unlike Truffaut or Godard, never became a household name. His reputation among cineastes rests with his famous 1962 sci-fi short La Jetée and a series of documentaries, including 1983’s Sans Soleil. The 28-minute La Jetée is composed almost entirely of black-and-white stills, voice-over, and spacey music. Yet its haunting portrayal of a WWIII-annihilated Paris — and a time-traveling survivor who falls for a woman in the past — has been stealthily influential, inspiring David Bowie’s ”Jump They Say” video and Terry Gilliam’s 12 Monkeys. The longer, meandering Sans Soleil will either enthrall you or put you to sleep. Combining his own footage with that of other filmmakers, Marker muses on Japanese culture, African politics, Pac-Man, and Hitchcock’s Vertigo, intertwining the sumptuous (women in kimonos) with the unsettling (a giraffe shot dead and ripped into by vultures). As befits such a mysterious director, the extras in Criterion’s set are spare (interviews, docs). No matter, the movies are exhilarating enough.
La Jetee/Sans Soleil (Criterion Collection) Director Chris Marker emerged around the time of the New Wave but, unlike Truffaut or Godard, never became a household name. His reputation among...La Jetee/Sans Soleil (Criterion Collection)Unrated Director Chris Marker emerged around the time of the New Wave but, unlike Truffaut or Godard, never became a household name. His reputation among...2007-06-22Criterion Collection
Director: Chris Marker; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Criterion Collection
Posted January 17 2015 — 9:14 AM EST
- Casting Net: Courtney Love, Timothy Hutton, Giancarlo Esposito join James Franco's 'The Long Home'
- Nicki Minaj joins 'Barbershop 3' cast
- 'Forever' sneak peek: John Noble puts Henry to a test he nearly fails
- 'Late Show' sneak peek: President Obama, David Letterman make retirement plans
- 'The Flash': Iris confronts Barry with the truth
- Jada Pinkett Smith on Fish Mooney's fate as 'Gotham' wraps season 1
- Orlando Jones exits 'Sleepy Hollow'
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Britney Spears, Orlando Bloom, Solange & More!