Director Chris Marker emerged around the time of the New Wave but, unlike Truffaut or Godard, never became a household name. His reputation among cineastes rests with his famous 1962 sci-fi short La Jetée and a series of documentaries, including 1983’s Sans Soleil. The 28-minute La Jetée is composed almost entirely of black-and-white stills, voice-over, and spacey music. Yet its haunting portrayal of a WWIII-annihilated Paris — and a time-traveling survivor who falls for a woman in the past — has been stealthily influential, inspiring David Bowie’s ”Jump They Say” video and Terry Gilliam’s 12 Monkeys. The longer, meandering Sans Soleil will either enthrall you or put you to sleep. Combining his own footage with that of other filmmakers, Marker muses on Japanese culture, African politics, Pac-Man, and Hitchcock’s Vertigo, intertwining the sumptuous (women in kimonos) with the unsettling (a giraffe shot dead and ripped into by vultures). As befits such a mysterious director, the extras in Criterion’s set are spare (interviews, docs). No matter, the movies are exhilarating enough.
La Jetee/Sans Soleil (Criterion Collection) Director Chris Marker emerged around the time of the New Wave but, unlike Truffaut or Godard, never became a household name. His reputation among...La Jetee/Sans Soleil (Criterion Collection)Unrated Director Chris Marker emerged around the time of the New Wave but, unlike Truffaut or Godard, never became a household name. His reputation among...2007-06-22Criterion Collection
Director: Chris Marker; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Criterion Collection
Posted June 22 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Ellen Page says her 'Freeheld' role inspired her to come out
- 'Brides of Dracula' series from 'Arrow' producer gets NBC pilot commitment
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: Travis Wall on why the judges 'floored' him this week
- Christina Applegate is a terrible Meryl Streep in Funny or Die's Lifetime spoof
- Wrestling legend Jimmy 'Superfly' Snuka charged in 1983 murder
- Meet Denise, Kermit the Frog's new love interest
- And the Oscar producing gig goes to...
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!