The title is fitting: Neverwas premiered at the Toronto film festival in 2005, then got shelved by Miramax. (There are rumors of a release in Bulgaria.) An awkward combo of Hook, K-PAX, and 21 other films, the familiar-feeling flick is a mystery/psychodrama about a damaged shrink (Eckhart) and a book about a wonderland that may be a real place. William Hurt, Jessica Lange, Nick Nolte (intriguing as ever), and Ian McKellen (as a nut with a Brad Pitt-in-12 Monkeys twitch) lend some class but can’t enliven the clichés. EXTRAS None. C-
Posted July 6 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Crimson Peak' exclusive: Mia Wasikowska flees the darkness in Guillermo del Toro's Gothic chiller
- Beach reads: 15 heart-stopping thrillers to dive into this summer
- Zack Snyder defends ‘Man of Steel’ ending: You can’t have superheroes knock around with no consequences
- 50 Songs for 50 States: EW's favorite patriotic pop through the years
- 'Big Brother': Julie Chen answers our burning Q's about Jace, Audrey, and a twist
- See Nic Cage in his 'Superman Lives' costume
- Ava DuVernay won't direct Marvel film
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Eddie Redmayne, Eva Longoria, Flo Rida & More!