Le Doulos is slang for underworld informer, and Jean-Pierre Melville’s 1962 policier, which is being re-released, has a rat’s-tale cleverness as curlicued as that of The Departed. It’s hard to say who’s loyal and who’s a cad, since both of the main characters lie through their teeth: Serge Reggiani as a thief who’s like a rumpled Rowan Atkinson, and Jean-Paul Belmondo as a smoothie in a trench coat who can slap a babe around rougher than Bogart. Even back in 1962, Melville made the usual suspects feel new by wrapping them in gorgeous desolation.
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Foreign Language; Starring: Jean-Paul Belmondo, Serge Reggiani; Director: Jean-Pierre Melville; Author: Jean-Pierre Melville; Release Date Limited: 06/28/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 109; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Rialto Pictures
Posted July 18 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Country singer Granger Smith hospitalized after on stage fall
- New 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' trailer has lots of Baby Groot
- Netflix announces 'Sense8' Christmas special, season 2 premiere dates
- 'The Last of Us Part II' reveal trailer shows matured Ellie and Joel
- Madonna jokes with Sean Penn about remarrying to raise money for charity
- 'Last Tango in Paris' director admits butter rape scene wasn't consensual
- 'Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite' will pit Iron Man against Megaman X in 2017
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday
- 12 Stars Who Are EGOT Winners
- 10 Celebs Who Appeared on 'Star Search' Before They Made It Big