Lavish, gothic, and perverse, this 18th-century crime story centers on a catlike peasant who kills women in order to bottle their scent. Director Tom Tykwer’s dark, gorgeous atmospherics — he cleverly manifests odor via nostril close-ups and voluptuous music — make up for the bewigged blustering of hammy supporting players Dustin Hoffman and Alan Rickman. But the EXTRAS, only a toothless 13-minute making-of, stink. The bonkers finale of Perfume: The Story of a Murderer — a mass orgy requiring 750 extras and five days to shoot — is addressed for a mere 20 seconds. B-
Genre: Drama, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Dustin Hoffman, Ben Whishaw, Alan Rickman; Director: Tom Tykwer; Author: Andrew Birkin, Bernd Eichinger, Caroline Thompson, Tom Tykwer; Runtime (in minutes): 147; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Paramount Pictures
Posted July 20 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Kelly Rowland at Essence Fest previews BET series to find next great girl group
- The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest crowned a new champion on July 4
- Michael Douglas' mother dies at 92
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- Lil Wayne: 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!