Lavish, gothic, and perverse, this 18th-century crime story centers on a catlike peasant who kills women in order to bottle their scent. Director Tom Tykwer’s dark, gorgeous atmospherics — he cleverly manifests odor via nostril close-ups and voluptuous music — make up for the bewigged blustering of hammy supporting players Dustin Hoffman and Alan Rickman. But the EXTRAS, only a toothless 13-minute making-of, stink. The bonkers finale of Perfume: The Story of a Murderer — a mass orgy requiring 750 extras and five days to shoot — is addressed for a mere 20 seconds. B-
Genre: Drama, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Dustin Hoffman, Ben Whishaw, Alan Rickman; Director: Tom Tykwer; Author: Andrew Birkin, Bernd Eichinger, Caroline Thompson, Tom Tykwer; Release Date Limited: 12/27/2006; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 147; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Paramount Pictures
Posted July 20 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Andre 3000 joins ABC's 'American Crime'
- 'Descendants' react: Did the tale about junior Disney villains cast a spell?
- Casting Net: Gary Oldman joins space love story
- Josh Gad wraps 'Beauty and the Beast' filming, shares pic
- Remembering Roddy Piper's rowdy film career
- Why 'The Tribe' is the perfect videogame movie
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' producers offer hints about the show's timeline
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Michael & Kate, Michelle Rodriguez, Joss Stone and More!