Lavish, gothic, and perverse, this 18th-century crime story centers on a catlike peasant who kills women in order to bottle their scent. Director Tom Tykwer’s dark, gorgeous atmospherics — he cleverly manifests odor via nostril close-ups and voluptuous music — make up for the bewigged blustering of hammy supporting players Dustin Hoffman and Alan Rickman. But the EXTRAS, only a toothless 13-minute making-of, stink. The bonkers finale of Perfume: The Story of a Murderer — a mass orgy requiring 750 extras and five days to shoot — is addressed for a mere 20 seconds. B-
Genre: Drama, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Dustin Hoffman, Ben Whishaw, Alan Rickman; Director: Tom Tykwer; Author: Andrew Birkin, Bernd Eichinger, Caroline Thompson, Tom Tykwer; Release Date Limited: 12/27/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 147; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Paramount Pictures
Posted July 20 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Now's your chance to see 'Mad Max: Fury Road' in IMAX theaters
- Obama to honor Stephen King, Sally Field with National Medals of Arts
- Queen Elizabeth is a huge fan of 'Downton Abbey'
- You can binge all of TNT's new show 'Public Morals' — only on Labor Day weekend
- New 'Batman v Superman' pics show Wonder Woman, the Batmobile
- 'Star Wars: Aftermath': Finding Han Solo for a quick galactic run
- Kanye West sends Taylor Swift flowers after the 2015 VMAs
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Union, Karlie Kloss & More!