Other Christmas Carols need not apply. The definitive version of the Dickens tale is, appropriately enough, straight out of England. This flick is not only the gold standard against which all other holiday films should be measured, but also one of the greatest films ever made, period. Chalk it all up to Alastair Sim’s pitch-perfect performance as Scrooge. Whether expressing goggle-eyed horror, heartrending sorrow, or gleeful giddiness, Sim is equally adept at wringing tears and peals of laughter from the viewer. Throw in a stirring, weep-worthy score, a witty script, and a sparkling supporting cast, and you’ve got a film you’ll want to watch year-round.
(A Christmas Carol: Kobal Collection)
Genre: Holiday, Drama; Starring: Mervyn Johns, Alastair Sim, Hermione Baddeley, Francis De Wolff, Michael Hordern; Director: Brian Desmond Hurst; Author: Noel Langley; Runtime (in minutes): 86; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: United Artists (MGM)
Posted July 25 2007 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Robin Williams' daughter shares touching tribute to Oliver Sacks
- Jay Z apparently joined Instagram – then quit after only a few hours
- See Miley Cyrus meet Internet sensation Baddie Winkle before the VMAs
- Netflix will lose 'Catching Fire,' 'Transformers' at the end of September
- See the 'Man of Steel' trailer get the 'Deadpool' treatment
- See 'Game of Thrones' fans visit filming locations around the world
- Dave Grohl celebrates Chicago’s music scene at Wrigley Field show
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!