Other Christmas Carols need not apply. The definitive version of the Dickens tale is, appropriately enough, straight out of England. This flick is not only the gold standard against which all other holiday films should be measured, but also one of the greatest films ever made, period. Chalk it all up to Alastair Sim’s pitch-perfect performance as Scrooge. Whether expressing goggle-eyed horror, heartrending sorrow, or gleeful giddiness, Sim is equally adept at wringing tears and peals of laughter from the viewer. Throw in a stirring, weep-worthy score, a witty script, and a sparkling supporting cast, and you’ve got a film you’ll want to watch year-round.
(A Christmas Carol: Kobal Collection)
Genre: Holiday, Drama; Starring: Mervyn Johns, Alastair Sim, Hermione Baddeley, Francis De Wolff, Michael Hordern; Director: Brian Desmond Hurst; Author: Noel Langley; Runtime (in minutes): 86; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: United Artists (MGM)
Posted January 17 2015 — 11:46 AM EST
- 'Last Man on Earth': Will Forte on THAT season finale twist
- 'Game of Thrones' actor explains his surprisingly early exit
- 'Suicide Squad': First Look at rogues' gallery in costume
- 'Game of Thrones': Carice van Houten on nudity, Jon Snow
- 'Star Wars': 'Force Awakens' toys in Sept.
- J.K. Rowling sorry for a 'Potter' death
- Kanye West announces new album title
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Halle Berry & Goldie Hawn, Plus Diddy, Melissa McCarthy & More!